cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Patching

Mudabo1
Level 3

I am set to patch our appliances for the first time.   I need to run the data collect prior to doing the upgrade.  Does Netbackup or the appliance need to be in a quiest state before I run the data collect ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

vtas_chas
Level 6
Employee

To answer the datacollect question directly -- no, you don't have to be in a quiet state to run that.

As sdo says, upgrading/patching always requires all jobs to be stopped and will necessitate a reboot in most cases.

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

You don't say why you are intending to run data-collect, so I assume that you are intending to run a data collect so that you can submit the data-collect to Veritas Support for either inspection by Veritas Support prior to the upgrade/patch, or simply to act as a "this is the state the appliance was in" before the upgrade.  An appliance does not normally need to be completely quiet to run a data-collect.

But if the appliance is a Master Server, or Master/Media Server, then the appliance really does need to be quiesced before being patched or upgraded.

Some questions:

1) Are you patching or upgrading?  I ask because you haven't specified from which version nor to which version.  Can you tell us?

2) How many appliances are being upgraded?

3) Is/are the appliance(s) to be upgraded in Media Server only role, or are any in Master Server role, or even Master/Media Server role?

4) Do you have any NetBackup AIR Replication configured?

5) Do you have any separate DR site NetBackup environments?

You've given almost nothing to work with, so, if you'd like some further advice, then please do answer the five questions above and we might be able to help you some more.

Thank you for your response Sdo.   Yes, I am preparing to patch the Netbackup appliances.   We have 5 5230C's and all are Master/Media, Media servers.  WE do not have AIR configured   We have a seperate DR environment

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

You still haven't told us which source version and target version?

If Master, or Master/Media, appliances are being upgraded/patched then one of the most important tasks will be to take a clean Catalog Backup whilst no other jobs are running.  A datacollect will not help you recover a Master Server or Master/Media Server, only a Catalog Backup can be used to recover a Master Server role.

Also remember to use SORT as part of your planning, and you will also need to read these documents as part of your upgrade/patch planning:

- the tech-note / web-page specific to your planned version/release.

- the "Release Notes" documentation.

- the installation/upgrade guide.

- the LBN (Late Breaking News) pages for the all of the versions from your current version all the way to your planned version.

- and perhaps also the EEB guide for the version that you plan to patch/upgrade to.

A successful upgrade/patch is all about the reading and planning and preparation.

vtas_chas
Level 6
Employee

To answer the datacollect question directly -- no, you don't have to be in a quiet state to run that.

As sdo says, upgrading/patching always requires all jobs to be stopped and will necessitate a reboot in most cases.

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances

Thank you;  I do intend to stop Netbackup and adhere to the prescibed procedures for patching.