cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup accelerator vs netbackup dedupe

rookie11
   VIP   

folks,

here is a scenario i m confused about. do not have valid answer to take it up with management.

NBU master n media servers at 7.5 .I have 4 NBU appliances all NBU 5220(version 2.5.1,acting as media server). their total capacity is almost reached we have reached 98% full on NBU appliances.in total we have 35*4= 140 TB. dedupe performing great, hitting good at around 88-92%.reports fetched from opscenter.data generally on windows and netapp filer. but an architect suggests we can use NBU accelerator to make atleast window server backup faster , efficient this way we can reduce data on appliance as well. reduce data about 8% on NBU appliances is our main target.(retention policy decreased already)

Though I have a doubt whether we should go for NBU acccelerator or not.
NBU accelerator and dedupe(NBU appliance). please consider my points n suggest.

data dedupe will happen at NBU appliance. client will send complete data in 1st full backup. incremental data will be create network traffic but ultimately will take less time as full backup already done. fingerprints already present on NBU appliance.
NBU accelerator -- client will send complete data in 1st full backup(tracking log on client). incremental backup will take less time as only changed blocks would be sent from client to NBU appliance.

NBU accelerator backup would be faster but BIG QUESTION IS will it really reduce data stored on NBU appliance.??? and how ???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

1st off - accelerator does not work with incrementals - so no difference there though it has been said that the track log can help with performance in that it takes less time to process the file list - but it is not block level changes in that way

I dont really see that acclerator will save any space on the appliance - i am pretty sure if that was the case it would be at the top of the list of features and benefits of Accelerator and Symantec would be shouting it from the roof tops!

I have a few deep dive and faqs about acclerator as a partner and have not seen anything that relates to a change of de-dupe usage by using it

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

1st off - accelerator does not work with incrementals - so no difference there though it has been said that the track log can help with performance in that it takes less time to process the file list - but it is not block level changes in that way

I dont really see that acclerator will save any space on the appliance - i am pretty sure if that was the case it would be at the top of the list of features and benefits of Accelerator and Symantec would be shouting it from the roof tops!

I have a few deep dive and faqs about acclerator as a partner and have not seen anything that relates to a change of de-dupe usage by using it

Hope this helps

TomerG
Level 6
Partner Employee Accredited Certified

Mark is correct. There won't be ANY difference as far as back-end storage use, it is simply a faster way to process which files should be checked for fingerprinting... think of it as a way to cause less fingerprinting work (for that data thta hasn't change), though the data backed up will ultimately be the same.