cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup appliance Master 2.6.0.4 Push Install rsh/ssh

SnirA
Level 4

Hello All,

I am trying to do a Push install for Linux clients in my netbackup environment.

Problem is , they are blocked on all regular ports of scp\ssh\rsh\ftp.

I am doing this with install_client_files command

this is the output.

Same in rsh/ssh

MasterAppliance:/usr/openv/netbackup/client/Linux/RedHat2.6.18 # install_client_files ssh SomeClient
       SomeClient ...
Client SomeClient -- Linux hardware running RedHat2.6.18
Installing NetBackup software on SomeClient
ssh: connect to host SomeClient port 22: Connection timed out

ERROR:   ssh connection to SomeClient failed.

SomeClient install failed

Can you please help, How to change the default port of 22 to another port  ? 

I need to do this install on 50 clients and they all have the same problem, ssh port is changed to other port due to security issues.

Thank you all.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

I just checked and by editing ~/.ssh/config (not ssh_config) and adding the line "port 2222" or what ever the port number is for those machines you can connect on that specific port. If you have varied ports for different servers you can add them to the same file in the manner that Riaan posted with a Host line and Name of the host.

I would like to point out something you may need to check. NBU needs to be installed as root so when you connect using the install_client_files script you need to be root. Also as a security policy especially in a DMZ most often administrators will disable root login. If that is the case you will need to copy the client pieces to the target server and run it locally.

View solution in original post

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You can also do it by editing the config file. That way you don't need to make the port change across the board. Add Host entries for each client to the file

$HOME/.ssh/config
Host dev
    HostName dev.example.com
    Port 22000

I haven't tested it but I'm assuming it should be the admin user, if not, then root. You might be able to restore this file into place without having to override the security (once again, I've not tested).

EDIT: Fixed ssh_config > config

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

Have you changed /etc/ssh/ssh_config to reflect using your nonstandard port?

SnirA
Level 4

No I haven't

is it allowed to change it for netbackup appliance?

wont it effect my login ?

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

Your example was on a Red Hat box which is not an appliance. However you can change it on an appliance. If the code is higher than 2.6.0.2 you will need assistance from Symantec or a partner to perform the change since it will require overriding the SCSP policy on the appliance and it will require being reset to 22 after you re finished so other process will run correctly.

As for your login that is affected by /etc/ssh/sshd_config. From your questions I am going to guess you are not a Linux admin. I would suggest you get one to help you.

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

I just checked and by editing ~/.ssh/config (not ssh_config) and adding the line "port 2222" or what ever the port number is for those machines you can connect on that specific port. If you have varied ports for different servers you can add them to the same file in the manner that Riaan posted with a Host line and Name of the host.

I would like to point out something you may need to check. NBU needs to be installed as root so when you connect using the install_client_files script you need to be root. Also as a security policy especially in a DMZ most often administrators will disable root login. If that is the case you will need to copy the client pieces to the target server and run it locally.

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You can also do it by editing the config file. That way you don't need to make the port change across the board. Add Host entries for each client to the file

$HOME/.ssh/config
Host dev
    HostName dev.example.com
    Port 22000

I haven't tested it but I'm assuming it should be the admin user, if not, then root. You might be able to restore this file into place without having to override the security (once again, I've not tested).

EDIT: Fixed ssh_config > config

SnirA
Level 4

Hi,

It worked, Thank you for this tip.

I would've marked this as solution but I am not able to do it for some reason