cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup appliance - Master server & shelf disk allocation

Tommen
Level 3

I have just setup a new NetBackup Appliance 5230 master server (4 TB) no problem.  I've added a shelf unit (35TB), which is now "in use".  Can someone point me to some documentation or tell me the best practice of how to allocate the 35TB?

Currently the AdvancedDisk, Catalog, and Deduplication pools are on the the same appliance.

Any help??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

A 5230 in one form is sold as a "40" - such as the D40

This means it can have a full 40 TB of usable space

The key is decide which you want (de-dupe / advanced disk) and what size you want them to be

Spanning the pools between the header and the shelf should not be an issue as it just gives you more spindles and so higher overall performance

Once you know the sizes you want for each just go into the CLISH of the appliance and use the resize commands

So as an example if you want to grow the 4TB de-dupe pool to be 35TB then do the following:

So Manage - Storage - Show will show you what you have and what is available

Resize DeDuplication 35 TB

will expand it to be a total size of 35 TB - the appliance just does it all for you

To grown the Advanced disk pool to be the other 5 TB use

Resize AdvancedDisk 5 TB

If however you are not actually using the Advanced Disk then you can shrink it down to a minimum using

Resize AdvancedDisk 8 GB

Hope this all makes sense

I am also assuming that you have "added" the disk in, if not add it first using

Add unit_2 (or what ever the new shelfs name shows up as in the Show command earlier)

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

EnriquePereira
Level 5
Partner Accredited

I prefer to put the deduplication volume only on the external shelft. If you mix it with the internal disks you will lose so much performance.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

A 5230 in one form is sold as a "40" - such as the D40

This means it can have a full 40 TB of usable space

The key is decide which you want (de-dupe / advanced disk) and what size you want them to be

Spanning the pools between the header and the shelf should not be an issue as it just gives you more spindles and so higher overall performance

Once you know the sizes you want for each just go into the CLISH of the appliance and use the resize commands

So as an example if you want to grow the 4TB de-dupe pool to be 35TB then do the following:

So Manage - Storage - Show will show you what you have and what is available

Resize DeDuplication 35 TB

will expand it to be a total size of 35 TB - the appliance just does it all for you

To grown the Advanced disk pool to be the other 5 TB use

Resize AdvancedDisk 5 TB

If however you are not actually using the Advanced Disk then you can shrink it down to a minimum using

Resize AdvancedDisk 8 GB

Hope this all makes sense

I am also assuming that you have "added" the disk in, if not add it first using

Add unit_2 (or what ever the new shelfs name shows up as in the Show command earlier)

Hope this helps