Netbackup enterprise server AIX FLAT file backup

syedzeeshan
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Dear All,

my enviroment 

netbackup appliance 5220 

aix 6.1 

we have application named Autoline ADP which is used for BMW car inventory system

that application has only flat file system 

task

need to backup and restore the flat files using netbackup 

will install the nbu agent aix what policy should i select as Standard

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you tried to ask Autoline ADP how the software should be backed up? 

Is it necessary to create bpstart_notify script? 

If I look at Ramesh's post, you only need to backup the directories where the data is stored.

Best to check with Autoline ADP to determine what exactly should be backed up and how.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Ramesh111
Level 4

Hi,

My environment also have Autoline but it's in Solaris. You can install NetBackup agent in AIX server and you can take backup using standard policy type.  

Before configure Backup selection, please check with Autoline guys and make sure that in which directory Autoline data’s are stored. Please backup that directory and AIX OS related directories. 

You can use accelerator enable backup.

Marianne

You seem to have at least 4 years worth of experience with NBU with STS certification for NBU for Unix and Windows.

This implies that you know how to create a Standard policy for AIX client and add folders and/or file systems to Backup Selection, right?

syedzeeshan
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Dear Maria,

yes indeed i know how to perform these actions.

threat open to learned more about the AIX enviroment ,hence we have requirement for Script based backup where the services are stop using bpstart and bpend 

if anyone can share the scripts basic used for aix system with application like Autoline & SAP

Everyday is learing day :) 

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Each application is unique, but you may get lucky and someone may post exactly what you need... but the chances are slim.

Probably best to POC it yourself on your test or dev instance of Autoline.

The NetBackup manuals are actually quite good re bpstart_notify and bpend_notify.

The stumbling block for most users... is... how to get their scripts to:

1) run quietly - utterly silently - absolutely no output to stdout or stderr

2) capture enough script's own logging to understand where you're going wrong initially (because no-one ever gets this right first time).

My advice, build it your own (silent to stdout/stderr) logging in to your own log files in to your script from the very start.  This piece of advice will save you a lot of time.  Don't give up.  Don't get disheartened.  We've all been there, and we've all done it, and come out alive.  But, the odd thing is no-one can tell you exactly how to do it (off the cuff so to speak), because this topic would truely occupy the chapter of a book, and we (well, not many of us) don't have the time for that.  Sorry.

However,  it is certainly do-able, and not too difficult, but a little bit tricksy from from the off.  Perserverance is the key.  Good luck.

Marianne

Have you tried to ask Autoline ADP how the software should be backed up? 

Is it necessary to create bpstart_notify script? 

If I look at Ramesh's post, you only need to backup the directories where the data is stored.

Best to check with Autoline ADP to determine what exactly should be backed up and how.