cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 5230 Appliance Licensing

GJRedhat
Level 3

Hello Team,

Our company recently purchased Symantec 5220 & SYMC NETBACKUP BNDL 5230 APPLIANCE 4TB WITH 4 1GB ETHERNET - 2 10GB ETHERNET - 2 8GB FIBRE CHANNEL WITH STANDARD SUPPORT INITIAL 12 MONTHS.But i could not find any license details with respect to this products .So i would like to know the licensing structure for this particular device.

Also we have purchased SYMC NETBACKUP PLATFORM BASE COMPLETE EDITION 7.6 XPLAT 1 FRONT END TB STD LIC seperate .Kindly confirm whether this particular license can be applied on Netbackup 5230 appliance ..is this license has the complete features to run  5230 appliance smoothly ??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

You can use the license on both appliances. Please tell us more about the appliances and your environment size. The appliances are not really supposed to be used as Master servers (although a dedicated Master server appliance will be released soon). If your environment doesn't run that many backup jobs you can use it. Otherwise I would suggest a master server on a separate server (physical/virtual).

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you tried to contact Symantec Licensing Team.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO42310

Marianne
Level 6

Your licenses are 100% fine and exactly what you need.

The Appliance itself does not come with NBU license keys, that is why you have the Capacity license (COMPLETE EDITION).

This license enables all features and options, including dedupe.

GJRedhat
Level 3

Hello Marianne..Thanks a lot for your quick response.i will be configuring the device shortly,let me try with the license and get back to you soon.

GJRedhat
Level 3

Hello Marianne,

Also i would request you to share the information on the below

what is the difference between 

SYMC NETBACKUP PLATFORM BASE
COMPLETE EDITION 7.6 XPLAT 1 FRONT END
TB INITIAL ESSENTIAL 12 MONTHS License 

&

SYMC NETBACKUP PLATFORM BASE
COMPLETE EDITION 7.6 XPLAT 1 FRONT END
TB STD LIC

RiaanBadenhorst

The first one (initial essential) is your maintenance license sku for support.

The second one is the product license.

(Next year you'll only buy  renewal licenses to ensure access to support.)

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Also be sure to remove the license that comes with the appliance (demo type license) and replace it with your actual license. Otherwise you'll forget and some day in the future you'll come to the office and see all the backups failed.

You can list/delete/add the licenses through the appliance CLISH menu of from maintenance mode using bpminlicense (which doesn't require service stop / start).

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Appliances all come with a fixed expiry date "NFR" license key so that they work when you first set them up.

Once you have them running use the web interface to apply your NetBackup keys and to remove the one it came with.

You should find that you will have three license keys .. the complete license usually has two keys (probably starting with a K (complete and data optimisation) plus one starting with an O.

Add both of the K keys to your appliance and any other Master / Media Servers you have and use the O key if you install NetBackup OpsCenter

Bear in mind when you add keys the NetBackup services get re-started so do it when nothing is running.

GJRedhat
Level 3

Hello Team,

Sorry fort the late reply.As we are having friday and saturday week off.well thanks a lot for all your valuable informations.i think i can go ahead and start the installation without any hassles.

Where this license can be applied to multiple Appliances at the same time ?? or separate license required for each Appliance ??

since we have 5230 and 5220 .And what would be your suggestions on which appliance that i can make it as Master / Media .Because we are new to this Product so far there are no Backup plans running .

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

You can use the license on both appliances. Please tell us more about the appliances and your environment size. The appliances are not really supposed to be used as Master servers (although a dedicated Master server appliance will be released soon). If your environment doesn't run that many backup jobs you can use it. Otherwise I would suggest a master server on a separate server (physical/virtual).

GJRedhat
Level 3

Hello Riaan,

We have 5230 and 5220 with 10TB storage capacity+400 Users in the company.We are planning to implement a new data center with latest servers and network infrastrucutre+ Symantec BackUp.Time being we just need to implement Netbackup for current Workgroup topology.We are not maintaining any Domain structured topology yet.So suggest me what would be the best way to implement these devices.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

How many clients (Servers) are you going to backup to the appliance master? How many jobs per day?

I would use the 5220 as the master and let the 5230 do most of the work.

GJRedhat
Level 3

Well we are planning to run backup of all Desktop and Laptop clients + 3 Physical + 5VM servers.To make a proper load balancing and scalability do i need to go for a separate traditional Master Server for this Appliances .

Where single traditional Master server manage  5220 & 5230 Media Appliances .If this the best way you really suggest ,we are ready to implement as you said.But confirm that single SYMC NETBACKUP PLATFORM BASE COMPLETE EDITION 7.6 XPLAT 1 FRONT END TB STD LIC is enough to setup this infrastructure up and running.

I mean with the single license can be applied on

1 traditional Maset Server + 5220 & 5230 Media Server Appliances.

Marianne
Level 6

Yes, as per my initial reply - 

Your licenses are 100% fine and exactly what you need.

This license enables all features and options, including dedupe.

All features and options includes any amount of servers (including Appliances), clients, etc.

You will use the same license key on both Appliances.

GJRedhat
Level 3

Hello,

Marianne, Riaan.Badenhorst ,Mark_Solutions AmolB

Thank a lot for all your appropriate attenion and response ..really glad to meet my requirement with your help and suuport.I will be in touch with you guys...Let me implement my infrastructure and check the in and out of Sym Appliances ..

Best Regards