cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Netbackup 5200

mday300
Not applicable

Hi,

I have a new 2500 just been delivered, I have no other netbackup software or devices. Do I need to install a master server and if so what software do I need to install and do I need to purchase it?

I know it's a stupid question, but it's been order by the head of IT and I have no experience of this device.

TIA

Mark

7 REPLIES 7

dedupe
Level 3

I would ask your manager about the project and implementation plan. Do you have any backup software that you use already?

Burak

Backup_Aurther
Level 2

The NBU5200 is a self contained media server, storage, and deduplication all in one unit. 

Yes, you need set up a Netbackup Master server to use the NBU5200. You will probably need to get some trial license keys and the Netbackup software for the master server.

As Dedup said, "I would ask your manager about the project and implementation plan."

AbdulRasheed
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi mday300,

Sorry to hear that you got an appliance but the actual project is unknown at the moment. As other guys have already mentioned, you need to know what your managers plan is...

Assuming that you use NetBackup for data protection, the appliance you got can use used as a media server with deduplication. It does come with an evaluation license to get you started.

You just need to follow the instructions in the poster that came with the device. All the software is pre-installed.

A quick resource I would recommend is to watch this video

Also additional documents if needed can be obtained here. Take a look at the resources tab.

Wish you the best.

Sebastian_Baszc
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

Hey Mate,

You have really 2 options at the moment.

Either install Master Server and start using your NBU5200 or wait a little bit. From what I heard somewhere Symantec is going to release a new code for NBU5200 which will enable this device as both: Master and Media Server.

If you decide to install the Master Server - please make sure you are using NetBackup Clients compatible with the NBU5200 code - 7.0.1.5 - meaning - you need to install NBU Clients 7.0.1.

Stanleyj
Level 6

The 5200 is a media server only.  A master server must be setup to use the appliance as a storage unit. 

I also heard a few months ago that they were going to release an update so that the appliance can be used as both but my sales rep and engineer shot that down yesterday.  I asked and they said a new appliance model is going to be released by the end of this year that will server as both master and media. 

So the 5200 is forever stuck as a storage unit.

AbdulRasheed
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The new appliance you are talking about is already here. NetBackup 5220 is available today that can be deployed as a master, media or both. As this features a modular design starting at 4TB, this is ideal for use in a remote office or as a driver for NetBackup 5000 series based global deduplication pools.

The same appliance also available with Symantec Storage Shelf, thus you can have a total capacity of up to 36TB. Note that deduplication pool capacity is limited to 32TB.

You are not stuck if you have a 5200 right now. Although I cannot tell you the exact date (Symantec social media policies prohibits it), I can say that a software update going to be available very soon! With that update, NetBackup 5200 can also act as master server, media server or both.

Altimate1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I confirm that using version 2.0 you can use N5200 as both Master/Media server (Search for "2.0" on the "NetBackup Appliance" support).

I'm aslo awaiting for the public official patch/upgrade release package.

Release notes say "Field upgrades for existing appliances are not supported at this time. Please contact your NetBackup appliance representative for more information." however, I had a change to sea that upgrading an appliance is possible using the 2.0 re-installation DVD. Note that in my case, I dismissed all backups I previously made as I made a full re-imaging of the appliance, not an upgrade preserving existing data.

I have to say that if you plan deploying a separate master server (only way to use a 5200 with software 1.2 release), you will need an extra Netbackup Server license except if you own a PLATEFORM + DEDUP ADD-ON OPTION Terabyte license (opposed to the legacylicensing model). Regarding the Master server, you can deploy it under you preferred OS (according you have corresponding license). Mine is a Windows 2K8 one.

Regards