cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Netbackup Appliance 5230 - Have a couple questions

flinttown
Level 2

I have been a Netbackup user for several years, however I am new to the appliance itsself and have some basic questions if someone can help.

It is my understanging that the appliance has basically 2 usable partitions, AdvancedDisk and MSDP. A couple questions on that:

1. If most of the data being backed up is from a Netapp that has already been deduped on the Netapp side, is there any reasons/gains from deduping with MSDP on the appliance.

2. Can you not have muliple partitions of the same type. For example can I not have 2 MSDP or 2 Advanced Partitions, or can I only have 1 of each. I just ask because to me, it seems logical that if  I wanted to keep both NFS and CIFS backups on the same type parttion, but on separate partitions. 

Also, this appliance shipped with version 2.6.0.4 and Netbackup 7.6.0.4. Should I go ahead and update it to 2.6.1.1 and 7.6.1.1?

Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Q1. If most of the data being backed up is from a Netapp that has already been deduped on the Netapp side, is there any reasons/gains from deduping with MSDP on the appliance.

A1: Depends upon whether the NetApp NDMP stream is itself effectively re-hydrated/re-constitued by NetApp.  i.e. You need to ask NetApp whether their NDMP stream of an ASIS de-duped volume contains the 'post ASIS' view of the volume, or an effective 'pre ASIS' view of the volume.

Q2. Can you not have muliple partitions of the same type. For example can I not have 2 MSDP or 2 Advanced Partitions, or can I only have 1 of each. I just ask because to me, it seems logical that if  I wanted to keep both NFS and CIFS backups on the same type parttion, but on separate partitions. 

A2: I know that you can have only one MSDP instance per NetBackup Media Server.  I'm not sure about how many Adv.Disk pools an appliance can have.  I suspect only one, because AFAIK the CLIsh only lets us create one.  Whereas, I beilieve that roll-your-own Media Servers can have multiple Adv.Disk pools, but still also only one MSDP pool/instance.

Q3. Also, this appliance shipped with version 2.6.0.4 and Netbackup 7.6.0.4. Should I go ahead and update it to 2.6.1.1 and 7.6.1.1?

A3: Some of us have had problems upgrading a new configured but essentially unused N5230 from v2.6.0.3 to v2.6.1.1 - for different reasons.  Others had problems due to presence (or lack) or certain EEBs.  Whereas my upgrade went smoothly, except that afterwards the appliance complained about incorrect BIOS - and so needed a manual re-flash of certain low level components.  If it's a new appliance, and not yet productionised, I would go to the highest version possible, i.e. v2.6.1.2.  FTI, I've just upgraded two largish N5230 from v2.6.1.1 to v2.6.1.2, and all went well - but took about 2 hours for each one.  (P.S. Don;t forget to upgrade OpsCenter to v7.6.1.2 first - if you have one).

Before upgrading from v2.6.0.4 to v2.6.1.1 why not open a support case to determine whether your current BIOS version needs to be re-flashed.

View solution in original post

Chad_Wansing2
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Unfortunately the deduplication on the NetApp is not the same as the deduplication in use within NetBackup (as well as any other dedupe device other than a NetApp actually).  One methodology that I've seen to be a huge help to many of our customers is to check out the Accelerator functionality within NetBackup.  It will mean you need to have a client with visibility to the CIFS/NFS shares on the NetApp but will give you the ability to restore the data to anywhere as opposed to being constrained to restoring to a similar device as is the result with NDMP backups/restores.

On the appliances you can only have a single MSDP as well as only a single advanced disk pool.  This is also the case for BYO NBU media servers.  The reason is that the media server acts as a storage server for each of these kinds of storage and a media server can only act as a storage server for a single pool of each type.

Personally I would recommend upgrading to the most recent version you can prior to initial configuration, but that's really more of a personal preference thing and less of any kind of requirement.  If you can I would absolutely go to a 2.6.1.x release if possible.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

sdo

Q1. If most of the data being backed up is from a Netapp that has already been deduped on the Netapp side, is there any reasons/gains from deduping with MSDP on the appliance.

A1: Depends upon whether the NetApp NDMP stream is itself effectively re-hydrated/re-constitued by NetApp.  i.e. You need to ask NetApp whether their NDMP stream of an ASIS de-duped volume contains the 'post ASIS' view of the volume, or an effective 'pre ASIS' view of the volume.

Q2. Can you not have muliple partitions of the same type. For example can I not have 2 MSDP or 2 Advanced Partitions, or can I only have 1 of each. I just ask because to me, it seems logical that if  I wanted to keep both NFS and CIFS backups on the same type parttion, but on separate partitions. 

A2: I know that you can have only one MSDP instance per NetBackup Media Server.  I'm not sure about how many Adv.Disk pools an appliance can have.  I suspect only one, because AFAIK the CLIsh only lets us create one.  Whereas, I beilieve that roll-your-own Media Servers can have multiple Adv.Disk pools, but still also only one MSDP pool/instance.

Q3. Also, this appliance shipped with version 2.6.0.4 and Netbackup 7.6.0.4. Should I go ahead and update it to 2.6.1.1 and 7.6.1.1?

A3: Some of us have had problems upgrading a new configured but essentially unused N5230 from v2.6.0.3 to v2.6.1.1 - for different reasons.  Others had problems due to presence (or lack) or certain EEBs.  Whereas my upgrade went smoothly, except that afterwards the appliance complained about incorrect BIOS - and so needed a manual re-flash of certain low level components.  If it's a new appliance, and not yet productionised, I would go to the highest version possible, i.e. v2.6.1.2.  FTI, I've just upgraded two largish N5230 from v2.6.1.1 to v2.6.1.2, and all went well - but took about 2 hours for each one.  (P.S. Don;t forget to upgrade OpsCenter to v7.6.1.2 first - if you have one).

Before upgrading from v2.6.0.4 to v2.6.1.1 why not open a support case to determine whether your current BIOS version needs to be re-flashed.

sdo

See this post re the BIOS issues:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/choice-upgrade-path-v2603-v2611

The above post also contains a link to another post where another user had different issues with upgrades due to EEB problems.

elanmbx
Level 6

There should be no problem keeping CIFS and NFS backups on a single MSDP pool.  In fact, I'm not sure why you would want to separate them?

Chad_Wansing2
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Unfortunately the deduplication on the NetApp is not the same as the deduplication in use within NetBackup (as well as any other dedupe device other than a NetApp actually).  One methodology that I've seen to be a huge help to many of our customers is to check out the Accelerator functionality within NetBackup.  It will mean you need to have a client with visibility to the CIFS/NFS shares on the NetApp but will give you the ability to restore the data to anywhere as opposed to being constrained to restoring to a similar device as is the result with NDMP backups/restores.

On the appliances you can only have a single MSDP as well as only a single advanced disk pool.  This is also the case for BYO NBU media servers.  The reason is that the media server acts as a storage server for each of these kinds of storage and a media server can only act as a storage server for a single pool of each type.

Personally I would recommend upgrading to the most recent version you can prior to initial configuration, but that's really more of a personal preference thing and less of any kind of requirement.  If you can I would absolutely go to a 2.6.1.x release if possible.