cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OPscenter 7.5.0.4 and Failure Alerts

StarSister
Level 4

I do not have analytics

I need help as I have created individual backup policy alerts (per client and policy) that trigger on a backup completion and anything that is >0 to allow me to capture failures - and these would email to a mailbox where another system picks this up and creates an incident in an automated manner.

However, I have around 8 different server owner teams and I have to keep creating the individual server alerts so that they are each mailed to the individual email account.

Does anyone know of a way to overcome this?

The only alternative I thought *might* work (but doesn't allow me to mail the individual server alerts to the corresponding mailbox) is I have created a master alert which provides ALL backup failures - but, again, these can't be split up into the different mailboxes I require. BUT it does save on administration of the system time!!!

For example what I have and what I probably need (and I will have around 500 policies therefore 500 alerts.......)  'Sales server backup alert' > emailed to a sales@email account > picked up and automatically created incident in another system under a 'sales' user.

I need this level of separation between the server owner teams - but I wondered if there was/is an easier way to manage this in the NBUopscenter?

Help team :)

7 REPLIES 7

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I dont believe that the alerts policies allow for anything to go that granular

The onlt thing i can think is for regularly scheduled reports for each team - based on the tabular backup report but using the filers of policy - keyword and job status not equal to 0

By adding the team owners as the keyword in their policies it would break it down the way you want it

You just need to decide then how often it is sent out - when there are no failures the report would be empty

Hope this helps - otherwise you would have to do it using the backup exit scripts in NetBackup itself with some "if" statements

Rusty_Major
Level 4
Partner

Does your ticketing system have the ability to receive SNMP traps? If so, you can add the trap receiver in the same place you configure the email address recipient. It will send traps and you can then configure your ticketing system to route the tickets to the right teams.

StarSister
Level 4

Mark- cheers -  Do you mean that when you create a policy there is the ability for a keyword? (not been on training yet....) Also, there will be several team's servers in the same policy name.......Unless, of course there is a way of 'grouping'them?

Rusty - Cheers - The ticketing system relies on the mailboxes being individual per team - therefore not sure if traps would help any?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you ....

Yes, when you create a NetBackup Policy on its main attributes tab you can add a keyword to associate that policy with

So if your policies are created with Server teams in mind then each teams policies can have a specific keyword added to their policy

You could then set scheduled reports based on the policy keyword which will pick up all of the policies with that keyword

Hope this helps

Brook_Humphrey
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

As for the alerts you are asking about. Unfortunatly You have already found the best solution witch is to create a sperate alert for every policy you want to monitor if you only intend to have a single recipient for the emails.

What we do is instead of having multiple media servers for various sites we use multiple master servers this way I can split out alerts by domain and jsut send them to the respective it guys for each location. 

For dr pureposes we jsut use AIR and replicate the data to a DR site instead of using duplicaions between media servers.

For this though we use no tapes and everything is on applinaces. It works quite well. 

If you have any other questions please ask.

Thanks

StarSister
Level 4

Mark, Thanks for this information. Someone on the forums guided me to use the 'view' creation from within opscenter, and this allows me to group the different clients together- then this view also filters into the reporting, meaning I can give my customer base reports which show their servers on the one report if desired......It appears to work well, however I currently have a support case open as I am not able to view every single client that is being backed up using the opscenter web gui....Will update once I have a result on this.

Brook - I thoughtso too. It's a decision on making the alert cover ALL backups per server/client OR an individual alert per backup policy for each and every backup that the server does......At present it's the latter, as I have some servers with several different database backups and policies which run them :)

Many Thanks for all your contributions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Hi

You say you cannot see every client ... but do you see them by IP address by any chance?

If so then is an EEBs for OpsCenter to resolve that which will change the IP addresses back to the server names - I have even seen this put in the IP address of the clients ISCSI connector connection as well as showing VMWare clients that way

Take a look to see if you have IP address clients and if so see if they tie into the missing clients and then either get the EEB or better still install OpsCenter 7.5.0.5 which has the full fix - and you can apply that to just OpsCenter without having to upgrade you NetBackup environment