cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimize Deduplication (Netbackup 5230 - Netbackup Software)

mgmasterv2
Level 6
Partner Accredited

hi ,

can i replicated Deduplication storage from Netbackup Appliance to Netbackup Software?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NetBackup Appliance is using NetBackup software.
The MSDP pool on NBU Appliance is same as MSDP on normal master or media server.

MSDP pool on NBU Appliance can be duplicated/replicated to MSDP pool on another master/media server.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Level 6

NetBackup Appliance is using NetBackup software.
The MSDP pool on NBU Appliance is same as MSDP on normal master or media server.

MSDP pool on NBU Appliance can be duplicated/replicated to MSDP pool on another master/media server.

mgmasterv2
Level 6
Partner Accredited

thanks,

• can i still use WAN Accelerator/Optimizer of NBU Appliance?

just double checking that i can use Optimize Deduplication to replicate data (only unique data will be replicated). is this correct?

Marianne
Level 6

Correct.

The NBU software on Appliance and Media Server with MSDP is identical.

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I believe WAN optimization in appliance requires appliance at another site.... this optimization is different than Opt DeDupe which AIR does.

Marianne Can you confirm if my understanding are wrong here, as so far i recollect WAN optimization in appliance was one of USP for appliance in ROBO cases...... 

NBU being flexible can perform opt dedupe AIR between appliances and software at either of site in vice-versa manner, however true WAN optimization at hardware level won't be a gain here if software is at source or target, it has to be appliance at both side.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

AFAIK, the "WAN Optimization" is an Appliance specific feature, and is not part of the standard "roll your own" NetBackup Server installations on any OS.  WAN optimization is not "different" to "OptDup" in so far as there is no direct corelation.  They are different things.  WAN optimization is a low level (just above physical) optimization in the TCP stack protocol (probably somewhere near the packet sequencing layer).   "OptDup" is an application specific (to NetBackup DeDuplication) optimization at the "application" layer totally above the IP layers, and thus near the top of the TCP stack.

What is USP?  What is ROBO?

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

USP - Unique sale point appliance specific.

ROBO - Remote office Branch Office use cases