cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Policy backup

Wes_T__Gator
Level 5

I have two 5220 appliances, one that has the db pack installed, the other does not.  We have configured a backup on the appliance that does NOT have the db pack, using RMAN, to write a backup directly to the appliance.  I have the backup policy type on that appliance set to Oracle, the policy options all appear the same as a standard policy type, with the exception of the Type of Backup under Schedule.  In addition to the regular full and incremental options, there is an "Application Backup" option, which is what I've selected.  That backup seems to be working as expected at the moment.

On the other appliance, with the db pack, there are alternate options, extra tabs, etc.  There is an "Instances" and "Oracle" tab, both of which have a plethora of settings and configuration options.  Also, under Schedule, instead of "Application Backup", there is "Archived Redo Log Backup".

Another difference that I've noticed is that when I set the Type of Backup to Application Backup, the Frequency option is greyed out.  On the second appliance, I have to select Full, one of the incremental's, or Archived Redo Log, which all have a frequency that must be set.  If I select ARL, I get the option of Minutes for the frequency.

Our DBA's currently are using RMAN to control when the backups happen on the first appliance (the one without the db pack), which bascially results in a User Directed backup.  For the Oracle policy on the second appliance, with the db pack, I have to set a frequency and to allow the DBA's to run a backup when they want, I have the Start Window set to 24/7, which allows the backup to start any time it wants since it's not 'user directed'.

I'm in the process of reviewing the Admin Guides for Oracle, but trying to provide a workable solution to the DBA's by tomorrow afternoon.  I'm hoping that someone out there has ran into this situation and has some input or can point me to a specific section of the guide that can help me with this issue.  Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

That option (Application Backup) isn't available on the appliance with the db pack installed.

NOT available?

Policy type Oracle?

If policy type is Oracle, then Application Backup schedule will automatically be added to the policy.

I have never seen NBU behaving differently with permanent license keys added.

'Weird' things happen when demo license keys expire. 
Bear in mind that Appliances are by default delivered with demo license keys.

Confirm license keys from elevated cmd with:

bpminlicense -list_keys -verbose 

(Please do not post actual license keys.)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne

The Application and Database pack license needs to be installed on the master server.

You need a license for each Oracle server you want to backup.

If Appliances are independent Master servers, you need Application and Database pack license keys on both masters.

Rome was not built in one day. Take your time and go through the manual. 
Best is to fully understand what your responsibility is and what dba responsibility is.
See my post over here: NBU7.5 oracle RMAN backup integration prerquisites 

Application Backup schedule is simply a window during which Oracle backups will be allowed and determins the actual retention level.

Automatic schedule determins when backups will be kicked of by the NBU scheduler.

The 2 types of schedules are explained in the NBU for Oracle guide.

Good luck!

Wes_T__Gator
Level 5

The Application Backup is available on the appliance that does not currently have the license pack installed.  It behaves similar to a User Backup, which at this point, is what they would like to do.  That option (Application Backup) isn't available on the appliance with the db pack installed.  That is part of the problem.  Thanks for the link Marianne, I'm going to look over your post and see if I can use it to resolve this situation.  I'll let you know what happens.  Rome - Under Construction  :)

Marianne

That option (Application Backup) isn't available on the appliance with the db pack installed.

NOT available?

Policy type Oracle?

If policy type is Oracle, then Application Backup schedule will automatically be added to the policy.

I have never seen NBU behaving differently with permanent license keys added.

'Weird' things happen when demo license keys expire. 
Bear in mind that Appliances are by default delivered with demo license keys.

Confirm license keys from elevated cmd with:

bpminlicense -list_keys -verbose 

(Please do not post actual license keys.)