Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle RMAN Backup job on N5020 considerably slower than on tape library

Alberto_Colombo
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Everybody,

i've a question about why a deduplication backup Oracle job (using RMAN) is considerably slower than the same backup job using a tape library.

Here is my setup:

One NetBackup Master Server 7.1.0.3 with RHEL 5.6
One NetBackup Media Server 7.1.0.3 with win 2008
one N5020 with 1.4.1.1
Oracle Database 10.2.0.3 on RHEL 5.6 x64 (1TB) and Netbackup Client Agent 7.1.0.3

we have done this comparison:
we have taken a full oracle backup (RMAN) on a tape libray (FC), and it took approx 5hrs (which, BTW, was the average time we always experinced)
the very same day we have taken a full oracle backup (RMAN) on N5020 (and it took more than 9hrs).
in the following days, these backup jobs (with same spec) on N5020 never have taken less than approx 8hrs (but often have taken more than 10/12 hrs)

We have elevated the number of active channel in the RMAN backup script to 2 and set filespersets=1 but without any benefit.

can someone give me some hint/tip to try to solve this issue?

thanks in advance,
Alberto
21 REPLIES 21

Alberto_Colombo
Level 4
Partner Accredited

one more thing to point out: i had these rman backups failing with error 6 and in job datail i can see: "error 2060029 authorization failure", having these configurations: 
  1. N5020 being managed by 2 different media server
  2. Storage unit selection was N5020
to work around this problem, i cannot just have a backup writing only on N5020, but i have to use a SLP with an inline copy (backup on N5020 AND backup on tape)
in this case tape library is being managed by just one media server, and thus backup is working properly.

Alberto

kams_iss
Level 2
Employee

Hello Alberto, try this article mentioned here,

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH172281