cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product Reliability

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

We have 8 5220 appliances and 4 5020 appliances at this point. We are increasing our count as I write this by adding an additional 6 5220 appliances and 8 5020 appliances. In the last six months we have replaced four array batteries in these devices. One in a 5020 and three in the 5220 appliances. We now have to replace yet another in a device we replaced the battery in two weeks ago. Let it be noted that we are at the latest firmware.

Has any one else experienced this deplorable quality of battery?

4 REPLIES 4

Ed_Carter
Level 4
Certified

We had two batteries replaced on Friday. Not sure which was worse, the fact the batteries already need replacing or the fact the engineer symantec sent out had clearly never even seen a 5220 before and I found trying to force the lid open with a screwdriver. I had to step in to point out the screw that needs removing prior to pushing the lid back..

I also would have appreicated the pre advise from support that it would be circa 10 hours before the write cache was enabled due to the charge, discharge/learn cycle, recharge of the new battery. Didn't sleep too well on Friday whilst watching backups write at around 500kb/ps..

I think next time I'll decline the engineer and just get the part sent and do the work myself!

Rusty_Major
Level 4
Partner

We have over 100 appliances installed and I recall only replacing one battery. I wonder if it had something to do with a bad batch, that does seem pretty extreme.

Tahir_Maqbool
Level 2
Certified

The fact is Symantec does not have good support for the hardware. I had disk failure on my 5200 appliance twice and i was shocked to know that the company which came to replace the drives was really unknown. and each time it was different company... and now they told me next time you will see a new guy from IBM to support you for your hardware. surprise

Ed_Carter
Level 4
Certified

Onboard RAID BBU just failed....ARRRGH!