cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Queries re OPTDUP_ENCRYPTION...

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Hi,

I'm intending to implement two NetBackup domains, each of one RHEL master server plus three x NB5230 v2.6.0.2 (three media server appliances at each site), split across two sites - the only NetBackup traffic between sites is expected to be AIR, i.e. MSDP to MSDP - and no client backups/restores will take place between sites.

It appears that OPTDUP_ENCRYPTION is not enabled by default, but that OPTDUP_COMPRESSION is.  Thus, NetBackup AIR replicated backup traffic is not, by default, encrypted between the two NetBackup domains.

My questions are:

1) Can I assume that, for AIR send (i.e. source site transfer to target site), that compression takes place before encryption?

2) What might be the expected CPU and/or general processing impact/burden after enabling encryption for optimized duplication?

3) Does anyone know whether encryption begins to take place immediately after enabling OPTDUP_ENCRYPTION, or whether any services/components/elements have to be restarted?  And, if some elements do indeed have to be restarted, does anyone know which elements they might be?

Many thanks,

Dave.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

1) When compression and encryption are both used it compresses before it encrypts... I have seen this in a Symantec doc but cannot find it right now!

2) I have never seen anything outlining this - sorry - i cannot see it being a huge overhead but i guess allowing 10% extra may be reasonable

3) Although optdup encryption is done via the CLISH it is a pd.conf file setting on the media server and so i would have expected a service re-start would be needed.The CLISH doesn't tell you that or even do it when you change the setting so i suspect that this change happens on the fly and the only info is that the setting needs to be changed and then the tlogs processed .. so my summary is that it doesn't need a re-start of anything.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

1) When compression and encryption are both used it compresses before it encrypts... I have seen this in a Symantec doc but cannot find it right now!

2) I have never seen anything outlining this - sorry - i cannot see it being a huge overhead but i guess allowing 10% extra may be reasonable

3) Although optdup encryption is done via the CLISH it is a pd.conf file setting on the media server and so i would have expected a service re-start would be needed.The CLISH doesn't tell you that or even do it when you change the setting so i suspect that this change happens on the fly and the only info is that the setting needs to be changed and then the tlogs processed .. so my summary is that it doesn't need a re-start of anything.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Great - thanks Mark.