cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Netbackup 5220 Appliance licensing

NavGee
Level 5

My client has purchased 4 x Netbackup 5220 Appliances, they intend on using AIR replication, backup accelerator amongst other features.  I'm having some difficulties establishing what are the licensing requirements for these devcies.

The client has bought a lot of Netbackup licensing over the years which has never been used, further to this the client has 8 Netbackup 5000 appliances sitting in DC and have never been used. These appliances have been licensed for 16TB each front end. I intend on migrating the current Netbackup 7.5.0.5 Infrastructure to the new 5220's

What I would like to achive on the clients behalf is establish the baseline licensing required and then establish what I can transfer across to the 5220's and what if I need to purchase any additional licensing requirements.

I would appricate any swift response's as I have chased Symantec for some time and I am not getting any answers.

Regards

Naveed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Ok - you need at least an enterprise media server license to make it work

You need de-dupe license to use de-dupe on it

The capacity of the appliance is irrelvant as any capacity is Front End based

If your company owns a 16TB FE capacity license (and i assume also a 16TB de-dupe license) then they can use this where ever they like - no need to transfer anything as they are not based on the appliances - they are based on the amount of data backed up so you can use them anywhere

So a summary ...

No need to transfer anything, licenses are nothing to do with appliances

You will probably have 2 license keys, one is capacity based NetBackup and one is De-Duplication - both i assume will be 16TB - you can do what you like with these licenses and use them on traditional media servers, 5000's, 5220 etc. - you need both to use the de-duplication

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Quick Answer:

The appliances do not come with any licenses so you still need your traditional or capacity licensing to make them work

If you have as a customer a 16TB front end license for 5000 appliances then this should be 16TB capacity plus 16TB de-dupe (not that it actually matters any more as i understand it)

So ask your Symantec partner (by e-mail) to ask Symantec for an IBR Report (Install base repprt) for your customer

This will outline exactly what they have in terms of all licenses that are in and out of support

Capacity licensing is best so stick with that path (you may be able to convert any existing licenses to capacity to add to the 16TB you already have)

With this you can pretty much do anything you like in terms of backups, clients, agents, options, media servers etc. as long as a single full backup of everything does not exceed 16TB

In terms of your unused 5000 appliances I would again ask Symantec what they would like to do with them - they may offer you a good deal to exchange them for 5230 appliances (or maybe 5030 appliances but i would go for 5230 is you get the chance) - otherwise it may be best to just leave then as they are!

If you need more help let me know - first point of call should be your Symantec partner really

NavGee
Level 5

Many thanks, However I would like to put more detail into this for various reasons ie :

1. The appliances do not come with any licenses so you still need your traditional or capacity licensing to make them work.  sure I'm aware of this however what are they referred to, for example are they referred to as a applliance license with the amount of storage capacity licensed, would I need any addtional licensing is enterprise server licenses required? If it is a single license does it activate all appliance features?

If it the case that its a single appliance license based on storage capacity then I will request the company we purchase our licensing from to transfer the 8x5000 16TB licenses across to the the new appliances.

Symantec are happy to exchange the 8x5000's to 4x5220's 

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Ok - you need at least an enterprise media server license to make it work

You need de-dupe license to use de-dupe on it

The capacity of the appliance is irrelvant as any capacity is Front End based

If your company owns a 16TB FE capacity license (and i assume also a 16TB de-dupe license) then they can use this where ever they like - no need to transfer anything as they are not based on the appliances - they are based on the amount of data backed up so you can use them anywhere

So a summary ...

No need to transfer anything, licenses are nothing to do with appliances

You will probably have 2 license keys, one is capacity based NetBackup and one is De-Duplication - both i assume will be 16TB - you can do what you like with these licenses and use them on traditional media servers, 5000's, 5220 etc. - you need both to use the de-duplication

Hope this helps