cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuild master server

Walid_Siraj
Level 3

Hi,

I have nbu appliance as media server, and windows server 2008 R2 master server.

i have big issue with master server that the OS is corrupted, and i need to rebuild the master server with the same configuration. So please what the steps to need it befor rebuild.? and i have backup from catalogs.

Thanks,

Walid

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Just build yourself a fresh Windows 2008 Master - using the same name and IP address and install NetBackup to the same installation path.

Make sure you have the DR file from the last catalog is available and you know which tape was used (though you can see this in the DR file anyway)

Once NBU is installed and patched to the same version on the Master add your media server to the media server and additional servers list on the Master Servers hosts properties - restart NetBackup on the Media Server and it should appear in the Media Server list on the Master

Run the device config wizard against the media server to get the library and drives - run an inventory (making sure you set mediaid generation rules first to match live)

Move your catalog tape to the catalog volume pool

Run the catalog recovery wizard for the entire catalog

That should be it - a netbackup restart later and you should be up and running - remembering that the catalog tape will have been frozen (you may want to keep it that way for a while until yuou are totally happy with the new build)

Hope this helps - really doesnt actuall take too long!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Just build yourself a fresh Windows 2008 Master - using the same name and IP address and install NetBackup to the same installation path.

Make sure you have the DR file from the last catalog is available and you know which tape was used (though you can see this in the DR file anyway)

Once NBU is installed and patched to the same version on the Master add your media server to the media server and additional servers list on the Master Servers hosts properties - restart NetBackup on the Media Server and it should appear in the Media Server list on the Master

Run the device config wizard against the media server to get the library and drives - run an inventory (making sure you set mediaid generation rules first to match live)

Move your catalog tape to the catalog volume pool

Run the catalog recovery wizard for the entire catalog

That should be it - a netbackup restart later and you should be up and running - remembering that the catalog tape will have been frozen (you may want to keep it that way for a while until yuou are totally happy with the new build)

Hope this helps - really doesnt actuall take too long!

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have nbu appliance as media server,...

What type of storage was used for catalog backup?

Hopefully tape or basic disk? And not dedupe pool on Appliance media server?

Walid_Siraj
Level 3

The catalog is stored on local machine, and backup it on tape and i have copy in somewhere else.

Now we'll start rebuild the master, hopefully that all images on appliance is working fine after we restoring the catalogs.

Walid_Siraj
Level 3

Thanks for assistance..

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If your query was answered, please close off this discussion by selecting the post that helped you most and Mark as Solution. Or mark more than one with 'Request Split Solution'.