cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relocating a 'live' 5220 Appliance

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I have a site with 3 x 5220's - 2 local and 1 remote.  Optimised replication is taking place between the local and remote 5220's.

Initially we placed the remote 5220 on the primary site, to allow for 'seeding' of the initial backups to the 'remote' 5220 over a fast ethernet link.

We have now reached the point where we want to move the 'remote' 5220 to the remote site, but as it is in production and recieving replicated backups is there a procedure to follow to 'quiesce' the replications and allow us to power down the 5220 for the move ?  As all backups/duplications/replications are controlled by SLP do I need to inactivate the SLP's, allow active replications to finish, power down the target 5220 then re-activate the SLP's ?

Also, will the replications simply queue on the source 5220's until the target 5220 comes back online ?  If this happens to take 48 hours, will the replication requests still queue or will they time out after a set period ?

AJ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

Yes you disable the SLP. And yes they will queue up and start replicating once they have been enabled. We do this regularly with our remote sites. All replications take place off hours so we have a cron job that disables the SLP and then cancells all active replication jobs. Later the SLP is reactivated and the process kicks back off. There is a lag while the SLAP validates what has been replicated but it will finish.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

Yes you disable the SLP. And yes they will queue up and start replicating once they have been enabled. We do this regularly with our remote sites. All replications take place off hours so we have a cron job that disables the SLP and then cancells all active replication jobs. Later the SLP is reactivated and the process kicks back off. There is a lag while the SLAP validates what has been replicated but it will finish.

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Many thanks for that.

As my SLPs do duplication before the replication I will need to activate them as soon as I power down the appliance for the move.  This will mean new replications will be queueing up from the time of re-activation and from your comments I take it that these will just queue until the target appliance is online again. 

Will we expect to get a lot of 84 replication errors as each attempt is made to replicate while the target 5220 is offline ?

AJ

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

If you disable the SLP you should not because not even the duplication will kick off let alone the replication. No job no error.

dpum
Level 3
Partner

You can also suspend specific steps within the SLP - allowing your first duplication to complete but not the second.

As Wolfsbane mentioned, there will be no errors reported in the Activity Monitor around the suspended steps in the SLP.

When you resume the suspended step(s) in the SLP you will see the duplication jobs added to the Activity Monitor.

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

All worked like a dream - thanks for yur input.

AJ