cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote AIR restore from tape

lt13624
Level 4

Hi All,

I have AIR setup and working between two appliances and have successfully restored a backup using the Vcenter plug-in from the remote master. We keep the images on the remote master for around 3 months. However, at the remote server end, I also have a tape library that backups get archived to using an SLP for a year. My question is, how do I get the archived backups straight from tape to my local master? Does it mean that I have to bring the tape back from the remote site? My ultimate goal would be to restore using the plug-in from the remote tape to a local client. That would really impress the project :)

Is there a best practice way of doing this?

Kind Regards,

Leo.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Leo,

Any images that "arrive" at the remote site, or copies that are created from them, are not available to the local master. So if you want restore from the remote tape copies you would need to transport them, and import them at the local site. Alternatively you would need to duplicate them back to the pool, then have a SLP that would reverse replicate them back to local site.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi Leo,

Any images that "arrive" at the remote site, or copies that are created from them, are not available to the local master. So if you want restore from the remote tape copies you would need to transport them, and import them at the local site. Alternatively you would need to duplicate them back to the pool, then have a SLP that would reverse replicate them back to local site.

Wes_T__Gator
Level 5

I have a similar situation.  I have two appliances and use AIR to replicate between the two.  We want to take a backup from a client at our remote site, then allow AIR to replicate the backup to our local appliance and restore from the local appliance to a local client.  Will that work?  Based on the original reply, it sounds like we should be able to do it.  I've never had a need to try it before, but it looks like this could soon be a regular 'need' for us.

RiaanBadenhorst

Yes, you can do replication in both ways. Just go through all the setup steps you did for prod > dr.