cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replication of GRT backup images

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I have an NBU configuration at 7602 with 5220 appliances at 2602.  The environment consists of 2 NBU domains with AIR beimg used for replication.

When backing up Exchange with GRT enabled and subsequently DUPLICATING these images to tape there is an option under General Server on the Master Server to 'Enable Message Level Cataloging when duplicating exchange images that use Granular Restore Technology'.  If this is selected then the image is cataloged as it is duplicated to tape, thereby allowing individual item restore from the tape copy.  This does however slow down the duplication process significantly.

I need to know if this also applies when REPLICATING the Exchange GRT backup images between appliances (disk to disk)? 

If I backup to appliance A (Exchange GRT) then REPLICATE to appliance B must I have this paramater set to enable me to restore at the individual item level from the backup now in appliance B or can I turn it off ?

Also, if it is duplicated to tape on appliance A without the parameter set (thereby not allowing individual item restore from the tape copy) can I subsequently duplicate the image back to disk and am I then able to restore individual items ?

Thanks,

AJ 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Dangerous_Dan
Level 5
Partner Certified

Hi AJ,

I don't believe you need it enabled as this is only if you are destaging the image onto tape - which without this option enabled would not let you restore individual mailboxes.

Replication between Appliances should be fine to retain GRT (as both are disk). I'm not even sure that ticking this box when replicating will slow it down because replication only works between MDSP and 52XX and so no requirement to read the image before going to disk as it can already be read.

If you then wanted it duplicate the GRT image from Appliance B to Tape then you would have to enable it on Domain B.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Dangerous_Dan
Level 5
Partner Certified

Hi AJ,

I don't believe you need it enabled as this is only if you are destaging the image onto tape - which without this option enabled would not let you restore individual mailboxes.

Replication between Appliances should be fine to retain GRT (as both are disk). I'm not even sure that ticking this box when replicating will slow it down because replication only works between MDSP and 52XX and so no requirement to read the image before going to disk as it can already be read.

If you then wanted it duplicate the GRT image from Appliance B to Tape then you would have to enable it on Domain B.

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks for that Daniel - that is my understanding also.

AJ.