cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Files Incrementals

Juliano_Moreira
Level 4

Hello to all ... 
I have a Netbackup Appliance 5220 and came across a situation that never occurred to me. 
I have backups of VMware Snapshots I do weekly full and monthly full. Monday to Saturday only incremental. 
Restores all I needed was yet again by VMware through the complete full backups I have. Never been to restore one file only that encremental snapshot. 
My question is ... 
To restore a file from the incremental backups I need to install netbackup client on the VM and restore there? 
I say this because it was making the restore 1 file by netbackup and unable, became round and round the process and nothing was restored. 
Is there something I need to assign my policy to restore through incremental netbackup? 

In this case the best method and correct? 

Thank you, 
Juliano Moreira

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You can restore from one OS to another, but its a do it at your own risk type of restore

TECH31677 is NetBackups statment of support on the subject:

...Due to the major differences between Windows filesystem and UNIX, the data of binary files will not be translated properly when the restore completes.  This also applies to restores from UNIX base filesystem to Windows Servers.

VERITAS Technical Services does not guarantee filesystem compatibility when trying to restore files to a different filesystem type than the original. VERITAS Technical Services highly recommends against restoring Windows files to a UNIX filesystem in a production environment.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello,

There was another post I found here that answered the question.

To sum up that post, the NetBackup VMware guide says under Restoring individual files:

7. For Windows systems, if NetBackup client software is not installed on the destination virtual machine, select one of the following (some steps about UNC path restores)...

This means that individual files can be restored from a VM backup without the client installed. However, to restore you will need to use the alternate client restore method and restore to a UNC path you create from the VM else install the client for restoring.

Juliano_Moreira
Level 4

Got it. 
By the agent installed on the server I got. Netbackup by selecting a different location on the server, I could not. 

Another question, can I restore files from Linux servers on a Windows server that have the agent installed?

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You can restore from one OS to another, but its a do it at your own risk type of restore

TECH31677 is NetBackups statment of support on the subject:

...Due to the major differences between Windows filesystem and UNIX, the data of binary files will not be translated properly when the restore completes.  This also applies to restores from UNIX base filesystem to Windows Servers.

VERITAS Technical Services does not guarantee filesystem compatibility when trying to restore files to a different filesystem type than the original. VERITAS Technical Services highly recommends against restoring Windows files to a UNIX filesystem in a production environment.