cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Role Configuration of Netbackup Appliance

irfanink
Level 4

i am trying to configure the appliance i start its wizard via web UI. when i select the appliance as a master server it is stuck and give me warning . for your reference i attached the screenshot. Please guide me 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I said :

"valid Capacity or DPOO license"

NetBackup Platform Base / Capacity Licensing Model:
NetBackup Platform Base licensing is a capacity-based model using the amount of source data protected per-terabyte as the sole or primary calculation meter. This model is commonly referred to as capacity licensing or Front-End Terabyte (FETB) licensing. The Platform Base model enables customers to license NetBackup based on how much source data is protected rather than the number of NetBackup clients, agents, servers, and options deployed as with Traditional licensing.

The Platform Base model is beneficial to customers who currently have, or plan to deploy, advanced features of NetBackup such as Enterprise Client (V-Ray, SAN Client, etc.), Data Protection Optimization (Intelligent Deduplication, Accelerator, OST (including cloud connectors, AIR), Replication Director, OpsCenter Analytics, or Application and Database Packs. The Platform Base licensing model includes most but not all NetBackup features and products.

DPOO (Data Protection Optimization Option:(
NetBackup Appliance and the Traditional Licensing Model
NetBackup customers on the Traditional licensing model must license the minimum software requirements listed below:
 NetBackup Server or Enterprise Server, Tier 2 Win/Lin/Solx86 (per master/media server).
NetBackup Data Protection Optimization (per FETB of data deduplicated or used with Advanced Disk).
 Other components as required (clients, agents, and options).

You cannot go ahead without one of the above licenses.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Marianne
Level 6

I do not see any warnings - just informational messages.

If I may ask - which model appliance and which version of appliance software? 
I am curious about the the Symantec logos... 

Appliance mode is 5220

Marianne
Level 6

So, this is quite an old appliance that you seem to be reconfiguring or reimaging with an equally old Appliance/NBU version?

If this is the case, then the demo license key that comes with the initial software has long expired.
You will need to use the CLISH to add a new license.

I found this in a training manual: 

If during the reconfiguration process, the media or master server appliance goes through an
initial configuration, then you must use the appliance shell menu to install the license keys
before the initial configuration process begins.

I have add the license but now i got another message to add harddisk while i add two new hard disk .snapshot is attached for reference

andrew_mcc1
Level 6
   VIP   
I think it's asking for a license key that covers MSDP & Advanced Disk. It looks as if it has the Head Unit (sdb) and a 20 GB Expansion Unit (sdc) already attached. Also sda is the Appliance OS. BR Andrew

Marianne
Level 6

You cannot add expansion unit storage if you only have a 4TB appliance with no additional disk shelve.

Show Device output shows everything as Base Unit Storage.

then how i add sdc while i add it with appliance but when i want to configure sdc it give me same error as i attached in preivous snapshot

Marianne
Level 6

You cannot add ANYTHING as expansion unit storage if you only have a 4TB head unit. 

There is 0GB Unallocated (Available) space on sda and sdc since they are used for OS and NBU installation.

I have configure lab environment for testing purpose . then what shoud i do . Please guide me . i have no any other storage device. 

Marianne
Level 6

@irfanink wrote:

I have configure lab environment for testing purpose . then what shoud i do . Please guide me . i have no any other storage device. 

With all due respect - what you need to do is to read the manual... 

You cannot configure storage from he CLISH. You can only do it from the Appliance Web Console during initial setup.

Storage Configuration happens after Appliance Role configuration. 
You cannot go ahead if you do not have valid Capacity or DPOO license. 

andrew_mcc1
Level 6
   VIP   

Also can you post the output of "Manage> Storage> Show All" (as text please) and the Appliance Software version from "Appliance> Status"? Thanks, Andrew

Marianne
Level 6

Please locate the NetBackup 52xx Appliance Initial Configuration Guide  for your Appliance version (links to manuals in Handy NBU links in my signature).

Chapter 1: Preparing for initial configuration
This chapter includes the following topics:
■ About appliance configuration guidelines
■ About appliance system configuration sequence
■ About NetBackup 52xx appliance roles
■ About IPv4-IPv6-based network support
■ About the initial configuration pages in the NetBackup Appliance Web Console
■ About the NetBackup 52xx Appliance initial configuration checklist
■ NetBackup appliance initial configuration checklist
■ About configuring the maximum transmission unit size

Chapter 2: Initial configuration procedures
This chapter includes the following topics:
■ Performing the initial configuration on a NetBackup 52xx appliance from the NetBackup Appliance Web Console
■ Performing the initial configuration on a 52xx master server appliance from the NetBackup Appliance Shell Menu

In the Web Console, you will be prompted to 'carve' the 4TB storage into MDSP, Advanced disk and MSDP Catalog. 
This will happen after Role Configuration, provided you have correct license key.

i have configure "Role Configuration " and but i can't go ahead and "what do you mean by "valid Capacity" 

Marianne
Level 6

I said :

"valid Capacity or DPOO license"

NetBackup Platform Base / Capacity Licensing Model:
NetBackup Platform Base licensing is a capacity-based model using the amount of source data protected per-terabyte as the sole or primary calculation meter. This model is commonly referred to as capacity licensing or Front-End Terabyte (FETB) licensing. The Platform Base model enables customers to license NetBackup based on how much source data is protected rather than the number of NetBackup clients, agents, servers, and options deployed as with Traditional licensing.

The Platform Base model is beneficial to customers who currently have, or plan to deploy, advanced features of NetBackup such as Enterprise Client (V-Ray, SAN Client, etc.), Data Protection Optimization (Intelligent Deduplication, Accelerator, OST (including cloud connectors, AIR), Replication Director, OpsCenter Analytics, or Application and Database Packs. The Platform Base licensing model includes most but not all NetBackup features and products.

DPOO (Data Protection Optimization Option:(
NetBackup Appliance and the Traditional Licensing Model
NetBackup customers on the Traditional licensing model must license the minimum software requirements listed below:
 NetBackup Server or Enterprise Server, Tier 2 Win/Lin/Solx86 (per master/media server).
NetBackup Data Protection Optimization (per FETB of data deduplicated or used with Advanced Disk).
 Other components as required (clients, agents, and options).

You cannot go ahead without one of the above licenses.

andrew_mcc1
Level 6
   VIP   

@irfanink - Did this get resolved? Also I made a mistake in my post, as Marianne says, it can only see a Base Unit Storage.