Windows 2012
NetBackup Master 7.6.0.1

Media Server
NetBackup Appliance 5230 
NetBackup 2.6.1

Client
AIX 6.1 TL8
NetBackup client 7.6.0.1

I just install 2 x client and enable SAN as transport.

i create policy and test with individual client, all goes well, transport type : FT

But, when i try to use the cluster name to do backup, it use LAN. i double check that the nbemmcmd, my cluster name only show as app_cluster and no client entry, i not sure what have i miss during the configuration or this is a bug for this version.

6 REPLIES 6

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The Guide says it should be OK and has just a few qualifications:

The SAN client can be in a cluster and can host clustered applications.

The FT client service and the Symantec PBX service must run on all failover nodes.

The SAN client OS on every node must detect the FT media server target mode driver.

The backup policy references to client computers can be to aliases or dynamic application cluster names. SAN client application cluster information is updated every 5 minutes.

One tech note which may help if all of the above is verified:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH145529

none0000
Level 3

As i said, when i use client actual name, backup is FT transport, but not for clustername.

SAUINFKYB
        MachineName = "SAUINFKYB"
        FQName = "SAUINFKYB"
        MachineDescription = ""
        MachineNbuType = app_cluster (7)
        NetBackupVersion = 0.0.0.0 (0)
        Active Node Name = ""
SAUINFKYB101
        MachineName = "SAUINFKYB101"
        FQName = "SAUINFKYB101"
        MachineDescription = ""
        MachineNbuType = client (8)
SAUINFKYB201
        MachineName = "SAUINFKYB201"
        FQName = "SAUINFKYB201"
        MachineDescription = ""
        MachineNbuType = client (8)
Command completed successfully.

from the technote, my clustername "active node name" really blank, i check it do really have multiple network interface but that only is private network between 2 cluster servers. I try add REQUIRED_INTERFACE to point to appriopriate network, still same, backup using LAN transport.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Did you add it in as an app_cluster? Not sure if it needs to be one if it is just a client, even when using FT

It may be that causing the problem

none0000
Level 3

Need to upgrade Master server to 7.6.0.2, then issue solve.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Are you saying that upgrade to 7.6.0.2 will solve the issue? Or that it has fixed the issue?
Please clarify?

... but that only is private network between 2 cluster servers ...

private network normally refers to the heartbeat interlinks between the cluster nodes and is not meant for any other comms. 

The data that belongs to the clustered application should only be associated with one IP address and Virtual hostname that fails over with the application. This is the name that should be used with app_cluster and in the policy.

none0000
Level 3

Hi,

Actually i do log call to symantec but they still cant accurate pinpoint what is the issue. The setup is correct.

After few weeks of logs collection, they request me to upgrade master, media and client.

But i only upgraded master to 7.6.0.2, media and client i still remain as 7.6.0.1, then test my backup, and the backup using virtual cluster name finally using FC transport.

So i believe the master do have bugs that cause backup using virtual cluster name which use LAN transport backup.

So to use virtual clustername for SAN client, please upgrade the master to 7.6.0.2 to avoid above bugs.