Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAN Client backup into Netbackup Appliance 5220

JNEVES
Level 3
Partner

Hello,

I would like to backup the clients directly on the Netbackup Appliance 5220 through FC SAN.

The client only has one FC-HBA (single port) already connected with a Storage Array.

Can I use the same FC-HBA to backup on the Appliance 5220 (I will add a dedicated backup zone).

Do I need to add a dedicated FC-HBA for each SAN-Client?

Thanks for your feedback.

Jacques

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The SAN Client needs its HBA in intitiator mode which is the default so in theory you should be OK to do what you want but to be honest I would always reccomend a dedicated HBA for FT transfer as it is a little like adding a tape drive on the same port as your disks - it works but isn't usually reccomended

It could also put the data disks on the SAN into the same zones as the Media Server (Appliance) which may not be desirable and likewise the SAN Client seeing all the disks on the SAN via that HBA which again may not be desirable

Depending on the O/S of the client there are also other things to take into consideration such as the effect of SCSI Pass through etc. and any affect that may have

So I believe the answer to your question is actually "yes you can do that" - the issue is "is that best?"

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The SAN Client needs its HBA in intitiator mode which is the default so in theory you should be OK to do what you want but to be honest I would always reccomend a dedicated HBA for FT transfer as it is a little like adding a tape drive on the same port as your disks - it works but isn't usually reccomended

It could also put the data disks on the SAN into the same zones as the Media Server (Appliance) which may not be desirable and likewise the SAN Client seeing all the disks on the SAN via that HBA which again may not be desirable

Depending on the O/S of the client there are also other things to take into consideration such as the effect of SCSI Pass through etc. and any affect that may have

So I believe the answer to your question is actually "yes you can do that" - the issue is "is that best?"

Hope this helps