cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAN Media Server backup to 5230

Kevin_O_Connor
Level 4

Hi,

We've recently purchased six 5230's and while we've moved a lot of client jobs to these units successfully we need to focus on our current standalone media servers (Windows & AIX) and Microsoft clusters still running to VTL.

Our master servers are on Windopws 2008 R2 Enterprise running NBU 7.6.0.4, most media servers are on 7.6.0.4 but some would have 7.5.0.1.

The appliances run 2.6.0.4 and have been enabled for Fibre Transport.

I've done a lot of research on the SAN Client/SAN Media/FT Media server details etc and while it was confusing at first I think I've a good handle on it.

I’ve talked to our Symantec Partner and they’ve said “It’s my understanding that the only supported client for connecting to FT Media Server is the SAN Client, I can’t find a supported config for a SAN Media Server backing up to a FT Media Server target.”.

The reason for leaving the Media install in place? Well apart from the DB components, it saves time on having to uninstall and reinstall the client and honestly some of the installs are a bit sensitive so getting outages are hard to get.

For clusters and even standalone media I know the advised way is to convert them to a SAN client and backup to the appliance as it is a FT Media Server but I’ve taken one of our test servers and while it has the Media server installation I’ve configured it as a SAN client and it successfully backed up to the appliance across the SAN.

What I need to know is is this supported by Symantec and will this allow a media server to backup itself if it has a large SharePoint DB or Enterprise Vault as I know these are not supported on SAN Clients?

Thanks for any help on this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kevin_O_Connor
Level 4

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for not getting back to this until now.

Mnolan, I should have been more clear, windows Media server installs are not supported as FT clients as well.

As for the AIX issue it has been resolved by the following article.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH192198

I will say that while we're still having a few issues it's nothing major and the configuration is running pretty smoothly now.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

Where did you see that SharePoint and Enterprise vault is not supported with SAN client? SAM client works just like a regular client except the regular client can use the deduplication feature and SAN client cannot?

I do not know if the SAN media server being on a server running a SAN client is supported. It should be since you are using the client aspect instead of the media server it should work fine. Kind of like a Master server that has the media server configured on it but you do not use the media server.

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

SAN Media Server refers to a server that is licensed with an Enterprise Client and with netbackup server software installed that has direct access to tape / disk storage devices and can therefore place its own data on that media without needing (another) media server's assistance.

SAN Client refers to a server that is licensed with an Enterprise Client and with netbackup client software installed that transfers its data to a Media Server that has direct access to tape / disk storage.

These two are different in terms of configuration. Having said that, if you've got the server software installed you can make that server act as a SAN Client by having it send its data to the FT media server (appliance).

If its writes to a Tape devices its a SAN media server, but if it writes to the appliance its a SAN Client. See, 2 in 1.

So yes, you can leave your Server software installed and still get the best of both worlds.

If its EV or SPS you cannot use SAN Client

Kevin_O_Connor
Level 4

Thanks for the replies.

Hi Andrew, The reference to EV and SharePoint support on SAN clients is on page 77 of the OS compatability guide.

Hi Riaan

I logged a call with Symantec earlier and they've told me configuring a SAN client on a Media Server install is only supported to disk storage (so MSDP) and not to Symantec Appliances.

For large SharePoint installs and Exchange servers using DAG or CCR backups through a passive are not supported on SAN Clients and would have to be backed up over the LAN if going to a Symantec Appliance.

Which basically means I've a lot of work on my hands especailly as it all seems like a dark art getting either the two luns visible (AIX just won't pick them up) or active within the master server (Windows servers need the appliance rebooted before they'll appear as active).

Regards

Kevin

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Kevin

Oh yes, I keep forgetting about that statement for support. In my head a client is just the server with a limited configuration to make it not act a server. Anyways, stick with what they said.

About the Exchange Passive DAG statement, do you have a note. I configured this recently and it does work.

I don't know about other users but I've not seen an exhange server that performed better on SAN Client. In my experience they usually don't backup faster.

Good luck.

mnolan
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The statement from support sounds odd considering that we have specific 5230 configurations with extra HBAs to utilize fibre transport for SAN clients.  Could you send me your case # so I can see what they were referrencing?

Kevin_O_Connor
Level 4

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for not getting back to this until now.

Mnolan, I should have been more clear, windows Media server installs are not supported as FT clients as well.

As for the AIX issue it has been resolved by the following article.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH192198

I will say that while we're still having a few issues it's nothing major and the configuration is running pretty smoothly now.