cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps to Build a Media Server?

Phil_Wandrei
Level 3
Employee Accredited

I am looking for input and validation of the steps for building a media server.  I am working on a project to highlight the operating expense (OpEx) savings of the NetBackup 5220 Backup Application. Espeically interested in the amount of time it takes. 

Do you a SOW of the steps and time required to build a media server? Or willing to have a 10 - 15 minute phone call to walk me through your process? 

Thanks, Phil

NetBackup Appliance Product Marketing

3 REPLIES 3

Douglas_A
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

shoot me an email with your contact info and i will give you some info.

Anuj_Kr
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Phil / Douglas,, 

Have you succeded in doing so? I am also going through similar issues, I have a new 5220 to setup. What I understood (following document & blogs), seperate media server is no more option. Rather I can make my appliance itself to work as master/media. Rest server can be added either as a client, or will be directed to pool through Appliance (i.e. Master/Media). That means, now you cannot create multiple media server as we normally do with non-appliance setup.

Alternate (as per my understanding), is to create VTL out of your appliance. But Symantec says that will degrade Appliance performance & its not a recommended setup.

Is all that I understood is right?? Can anyone share with if we have some other alternate? Also, How I can configure 5220 to work as VTL?

Also I have confused with many blogs where expert are talking about NDMP over 5220. I think is no more any NDMP option with 5220 (until unless you don't configure VTL). They are just taking shares backup via host machine. Am I right here ?

Thanks in advance..

Phil_Wandrei
Level 3
Employee Accredited

Anuj -

A very good resource for the NetBackup 5220 is the NetBackup Appliances support page at http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=landing&key=58991

For specific documents on configuration, here are three references:  

Symantec NetBackup 52xx Appliance Administrator's Guide:  DOC6031
Symantec NetBackup 52xx Getting Started Guide:  DOC6034
Symantec NetBackup 52xx Appliance Troubleshooting Guide:  DOC6033

If you have further questions, feel free to drop me a note. 

Regards, Phil