cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage Unit Groups and SLP

Edward_Rohen
Level 2
Partner Accredited

I am designing an enviroment that consists of (2) Netbackup 5230 appliances running version 2.6.0.1 and a VMware Master server Running Netbackup 7.6.0.1.

I have created two deduplication pools, one on each appliance.  the current plan is to backup to 1/2 of the servers to one applianceA then via SLP, duplicate to applianceB.  Then backup the other 1/2 of servers to applianceB then duplicate to applianceA.  This takes some manual effort to balance theese policies.  I would like to create 1 Storage Unit Group that includes the STU's from each appliance and run all backups to that group.  This would load balance my backups better.   However on the SLP side, when I want to duplicate to the other appliance there is no way to direct it to go to the "other appliance"

Has anyone found a creative way to do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I cannot see a logical way that you could do that using SLPs

You could do it using vault however - you would need one STU Group for the backups (rather than using a SLP) using media server load balancing to balance the backups and then 2 vault profiles to do the duplications, based on the storage unit they went to with the duplication step being to the other storage unit

The only issue is that you actually need a robot somewhere to allow you to create a vault in the first place - perhaps just invent one or use a software VTL just to give you the vault ability

I have just tested this - backing up to advanced disk and duplicating to msdp and it works fine.

You would need a license for vault to do this of course unless you are capacity based

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

I cannot see a logical way that you could do that using SLPs

You could do it using vault however - you would need one STU Group for the backups (rather than using a SLP) using media server load balancing to balance the backups and then 2 vault profiles to do the duplications, based on the storage unit they went to with the duplication step being to the other storage unit

The only issue is that you actually need a robot somewhere to allow you to create a vault in the first place - perhaps just invent one or use a software VTL just to give you the vault ability

I have just tested this - backing up to advanced disk and duplicating to msdp and it works fine.

You would need a license for vault to do this of course unless you are capacity based

Hope this helps

lhergueta
Level 1
Partner Accredited

Are the 2 appliances in the same Netbackup domain?

Have you check the Credentials of applianceA  to applianceB?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Edward

Did my post help you at all?