cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec 5220 Appliance doing Exchange 2010 Granular backups/restores

sether
Level 2

We are purchasing a Symantec 5220 appliance for our primary location and another for our DR location.  I would like to know if I replace my current media server at the DR location with the appliance and make it the sole media server if it would be able to perform the Exchange 2010 DAG granular backups and restores.  We are currently running Netbackup 7.1 in our enviornment.  Has anyone used a 5220 appliance as a media server to do the granular Exchange backups?  Thanks.

1 REPLY 1

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi

I have been in charge of the setup of a site using a 5200 (same software) and they use GRT Exchange backups - all be it that they are on clustered Exchange 2007.

The appliance comes with the NFS and everything needed and all set up to do these so backups are no problem

The issue comes during duplication and although i am not on the latest patch yet we have seen problems with the default settings with the duplications taking 24 hours for 150GB database

I have managed to get these down to a couple of hours by reducing the fragment size used on the de-dupe disk storage unit to 5000MB so this really needs doing - seems to help all backup performance.

Obviously if you are not bothered about having the GRT information duplicated to tape then they are absolutely fine

You may also need the EEB hotfixes for bpcd on the Exchange Servers to assist with the GRT restores (this may be in 7.1.0.3)

Hope this helps