cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throttling Bandwidth on 5200

Stanleyj
Level 6

I am trying to figure out how to throttle the amount of bandwidth my two 5200 appliances are using to duplicate images accross our WAN.

I found under the deduplication settings a way to put in a limit used for "optdupbandwidth" but i have read that this is based per stream. 

Does anyone know how to adjust the streams?

Or if someone has a better solution to controlling the bandwidth usage i am all ears.  Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

teiva-boy
Level 6

Correct, setting the value to say 128k, and using 6 streams, would be using 768K of bandwidth.  A little misleading eh?

At the end of the day, it's actually not that bad.  Typically I've run unlimited in most sites.  Only in few circumstances I've had to cap it to 10 or even 20Mb, on only a couple of streams up to a few of a 100Mb link.

Your daily rate of change will affect dedupe ratio, and ultimately the data replicated.  So you may find that your rate of change is so low, that it's not terribly impactful.

Chad_Wansing2
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

There's also a "maxtransfer" setting (pulling that off the top of my head, so may not be 100% accurate) that will cap the total outbound traffic, although that would also apply to restores across the network as well.  Should be right around the same place as where you set the "optdupebandwidth" setting.

-Chad

Efi_G
Level 4

you can thottle a a network in netbackup but that will affect the backups of that network

Host properties > Master properties > Bandwidth > from hos to host