cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPGRADE NOTE: 3.0 -> 3.1 5230 media server

elanmbx
Level 6

Just an FYI - I upgraded my non-prod media server this morning, and upon the final reboot, the system came up but *none* of the media mgmt services started:

NB Processes
------------
root 98265 1 0 12:58 ? 00:00:00 /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/private/nbatd -c /usr/openv/var/global/vxss/eab/data
root 98433 1 0 12:58 ? 00:00:00 /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/vnetd -proxy inbound_proxy -number 0
root 98434 1 0 12:58 ? 00:00:00 /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/vnetd -proxy outbound_proxy -number 0
root 98435 1 0 12:58 ? 00:00:00 /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/vnetd -proxy http_tunnel -number 0
root 98552 1 0 12:58 ? 00:00:00 /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/vnetd -standalone
root 98578 1 0 12:58 ? 00:00:00 /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpcd -standalone
root 98683 1 0 12:58 ? 00:00:00 /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/nbdisco
root 98979 1 0 12:58 ? 00:00:00 /usr/openv/pdde/pdcr/bin/spad
root 99237 1 14 12:58 ? 00:04:50 /usr/openv/pdde/pdcr/bin/spoold

MM Processes
------------

Shared Veritas Processes
-------------------------
root 64397 1 0 12:56 ? 00:00:00 /opt/VRTSpbx/bin/pbx_exchange

I ran "netbackup start" from the init dir and everything came up then... but not on reboot.

Just an FYI.

12 REPLIES 12

elanmbx
Level 6

Another quick note... and a question to anyone that has upgraded to 3.1

Anyone having trouble connecting to the share presented when doing a "Manage-Software-Share Open"?

I'm trying to connect as the local user "admin" but it is refusing to allow me to connect.  I'm a bit perplexed because this worked in 3.0 and nothing has changed from an account perspective for "admin"...

We recently performed the upgrade of Netbackup 5240 from 3.0 to 3.1. 

The only issue we faced was appliance failed to successfully reboot after the upgrade due to Kernel Panic. 

We had to disconnect the network from the 10GB PCI card to get the appliance rebooted successfully.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000125869

Even
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Just experienced the same on two just upgraded 5220 master servers:

MM Processes
------------

Shared Veritas Processes
-------------------------
root 4335 1 0 09:42 ? 00:00:00 /opt/VRTSpbx/bin/pbx_exchange

Another reboot doesn't fix it, but you can CLISH: Support > Processes > NetBackup start

Guess I speak with support for a permanent fix.

Support : Known issue (Etrack - 3932854 ) so I'm waiting for fix.

I currently have a case open with support to address the CIFS share issue.  NFS share opens successfully - so I have a workaround at the moment to get files to/from my appliances.  Will try to remember to update this thread once we have that issue sorted out.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@elanmbx could you perhaps share your case number for the CIFS issue?

Sorry - but we have recently gone away from Veritas-direct support and have another vendor handling our technical cases.  And I'm not sure if they have engaged Veritas yet...

I've come across another issue with the 3.1 appliance version.  After upgrade, running an nbdeployutil prompts for authentication:

<master>:/home/maintenance # /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/nbdeployutil --gather
NetBackup Deployment Utility, version 8.1
Gathering license deployment information...
Discovered master server <master>

Enter credentials for Master Server(s):

Master Server:<master>
Domain Type (NIS, NISPLUS, WINDOWS, vx, unixpwd, ldap):unixpwd
Domain Name :
User Name :admin
Password :

Ensure that the correct credentials are entered or the prerequisite steps for the remote master server are completed.
Rerun nbdeployutil with the gather option on master server <master>
Failed gathering for <master>, /usr/openv/var/global/reports/20171114_173822_<master>
Gather DONE
Execution time: 18 secs

Unable to gather information for the following masters:
<master>in directory /usr/openv/var/global/reports/20171114_173822_<master>

So apparently the easy solution for the nbdeployutil issue is to create a CLI user, login, and run it from that user's account.

Marianne

@elanmbx wrote:

So apparently the easy solution for the nbdeployutil issue is to create a CLI user, login, and run it from that user's account.

I thought there might have been something new w.r.t security changes in 8.1/3.1.

I received the attached doc from our Veritas SE a while ago.
Appliance instructions on page 2.

elanmbx
Level 6

Just an update on the media mgmt services not starting - it continues to be an issue each time I reboot my 3.1 appliances.  I'm probably going to go to 3.1.1 so I'm not planning to open a case unless the issue continues with 3.1.1.

Marianne

If you have already downloaded 3.1.1 upgrade packages, please DO NOT upgrade (yet).

Please see this Tech Alert:

The upgrade package files for NetBackup appliance 3.1.1 software have been removed temporarily from the SORT website to investigate an issue.
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100042337

Just wondering if you ever got this fixed.  I don't believe it is addressed in 3.1.1 either as I came accross this issue during a couple of upgrades.

Fix is as follows:

Log onto the appliance and get into the command prompt (support/maintenance/override security/elevate)

# cd /etc/systemd/system 

# mkdir netbackup.service.d 

# cd netbackup.service.d 

# vi override.conf 

Add the following and save:

[Service]

TimeoutSec=15min

(two lines above to follow on immediately - no blank line between them)

Reboot appliance and all will be well.........

AJ