cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect to IPMI with gateway configured

FibreMan
Level 3

Hi,

We have a problem with a new 5230 appliance that we are installing.  When the IPMI is configured with a proper gateway we are able to connect to it, but when it has a gateway of itself configured it responds to ping and can open it in browser.

Here's the setup:

Appliance IPMI IP set to: 10.10.10.2

Laptop IP set to: 10.10.10.3

Gateway set to: 10.10.10.1

This is all connected via a simple 1GB hub, nothing fancy.  In the above config, I am unable to connect to the IPMI.

When I set the IP on the IPMI to 10.10.10.2, I am able to ping and browse the applaince.

What simple thing is it that I'm missing as to why it won't work when the appliance gateway is configured to what it needs to be in order to be on the network?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

FibreMan
Level 3

The IPMI card on both appliances were stuffed up when they came from the factory.

A full BMC reset had to be carried out in order to get them working using the following process:

For 2.6.x appliance versions on the 5x30 appliance #  /opt/PDOS/install/syscfg -rfs

For 2.6.x appliance versions on the 5x30 appliance #  /opt/PDOS/install/syscfg -rbmc

#  ipmitool lan set 3 ipaddr <ip address> #  ipmitool lan set 3 netmask <netmask> #  ipmitool lan set 3 defgw ipaddr <default gateway> #  ipmitool lan set 3 access on #  ipmitool user set name 3 sysadmin #  ipmitool channel setaccess 3 3 callin=off ipmi=on link=on privilege=4 #  ipmitool user set password 3 P@ssw0rd #  ipmitool user enable 3 #  ipmitool bmc reset cold

They then sprung into life.

What we also found is that the IPMI will only work on a 5230 if it is GB.  If you have 100MB it will work when you first turn it on but then stops working.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Your post makes no sense, sorry. Please explain again.

"When the IPMI is configured with a proper gateway we are able to connect to it" <<<<It its configured with proper gateway and you're able to connect to it WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?

", but when it has a gateway of itself configured it responds to ping and can open it in browser." <<<If its working as per the first part of the sentence then why change it?

Maybe I'm not getting it......

FibreMan
Level 3

Let me try again then.

I have configured the default gateway on the appliance to be the same as the IP address of the IPMI card connected to a simple hub.  When it is configured like this I can access the IPMI site.

Thisisn't what I need to work, it needs to go via the default gateway as I am connecting to it from another network.

When I put the correct gateway on the IPMI card, I can't connect to it via the simple hub on the same network, or via the other network that it will be managed from.

What I dont understand is why I can't get to the IPMI when configured with the correct default gateway (not itself) when on the local hub.

RiaanBadenhorst

That is odd as the GW should not even make a difference if you're also on 10.10.10.0. What is the mask?

FibreMan
Level 3

Exactly, thats why im confused.

Mask is: 255.255.255.0

I can reproduce this on two appliances.

RiaanBadenhorst

Did one today, didn't have any issues. Can you post what is set from the CLISH > support > IPMI > Network > show

FibreMan
Level 3

Address Source: Static

IP Address: 192.168.100.247

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway IP Address: 192.168.100.1

So when it comes out of the box with the 192.168.0.10 address you could connect to that without issue?  As that didnt work either.  Default has a gateway of 0.0.0.0

RiaanBadenhorst

Were you using examples when you posted 10.10.10.x for all the IPs? Why is this now 192 range?

FibreMan
Level 3

The IPMI card on both appliances were stuffed up when they came from the factory.

A full BMC reset had to be carried out in order to get them working using the following process:

For 2.6.x appliance versions on the 5x30 appliance #  /opt/PDOS/install/syscfg -rfs

For 2.6.x appliance versions on the 5x30 appliance #  /opt/PDOS/install/syscfg -rbmc

#  ipmitool lan set 3 ipaddr <ip address> #  ipmitool lan set 3 netmask <netmask> #  ipmitool lan set 3 defgw ipaddr <default gateway> #  ipmitool lan set 3 access on #  ipmitool user set name 3 sysadmin #  ipmitool channel setaccess 3 3 callin=off ipmi=on link=on privilege=4 #  ipmitool user set password 3 P@ssw0rd #  ipmitool user enable 3 #  ipmitool bmc reset cold

They then sprung into life.

What we also found is that the IPMI will only work on a 5230 if it is GB.  If you have 100MB it will work when you first turn it on but then stops working.