cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMware CBT supported to tapes or not

Arsalan_2k
Level 4
Partner Accredited
I’m running a NetBackup 5220 Appliance (media and master server), which we’re using to backup our VMware based file servers using the NetBackup VMware policy type.

These backups used to run to disk but we’re having to go to tape and when doing so get the following warning in the detailed status:

Warning bpbrm(pid=2546) from client FS1: WRN - Missing block incremental notify script /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/post_checkpoint_notify.VMware_FileServers

I’ve done some reading into the issue and it’s stated that if you get this warning that incremental backups could be the same size as a full backup, as incremental block tracking is not working. That would be disastrous for us, as a full backup is 2.5TB. 

We don’t get this warning, or any other issues when backing up to disk. Has anyone seen this before?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I guess you could create that file and just leave it blank or pipe out a simple option as the normal notify scripts do.

I can see no documentation that mentions this notify file to have any idea what you can put into it - does it actually cause a backup failure or just appear in its log?

To make sure it supports CBT you can look in the Policy itself - when browsing for machines you can set the columns to show "Change Tracking Support" to see if your client is detected as having that support

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Pretty sure that message is just a warning - not sure why you would get it when going to tape but not to disk and it is just refering to an option script

BLIB being usable is all down to the VM's themselves having CBT enabled (ESX 4.x and above and vmx-07 or above) http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=103187...

Arsalan_2k
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Mark, 

thanks for your reply, 

It means that the backup will still be incremental not a full backup as the backup size is 2.5 TB. 

Do you know if we can resolve this warning issue ?

Thanks. 

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

I guess you could create that file and just leave it blank or pipe out a simple option as the normal notify scripts do.

I can see no documentation that mentions this notify file to have any idea what you can put into it - does it actually cause a backup failure or just appear in its log?

To make sure it supports CBT you can look in the Policy itself - when browsing for machines you can set the columns to show "Change Tracking Support" to see if your client is detected as having that support