Datastore zoning must be done directly to Appliance

or it should be via ESX!!!

Also how to identify slot and port # from back side panel of appliance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
By default Fibre Transport is disabled on a 5220 which is what you want to do VMWare backups and Tape out - this means any ports can be used for these functions If you enable Fibre Transport it can change the mode of the cards (target / initiator mode) which is for SAN Media Server functions - so dont enable it just for VMWare and Tape out functions. All datastore LUNS need to be zoned to the required ports (dont mix tape and datastore LUNS on the same ports) As for port numbering it depends on which model you are using - but you can get a feel for which ports are doing what via the CLISH Manage - FibreChannel section and then Scan to detect new mappings and Show to show what you have - this shows the WWN's of the cards and what is attached to them Multi-pathing is not supported, though there was some talk of it being so at 2.5.2, the biggest issue being with a memory leak (also supposedly solved in 2.5.2) Hope this helps

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

It depends on the appliance and what you have configured it for. If you just enabled Fibre Transport then any port on any fibre card can be used for zoning to data stores or tape or 5020. If you enabled Fibre Transport and SAN client then not all ports can be used. Look at the following guide on page 184 and 185. This is the latest appliance guide.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC6345

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

hi andrew

i 'm aware of port bindings in appliance. question was does datastore zoning requires ESX to be mediate or should be one to one with appliance

datastore are alreay zoned to ESX, VMware and Storage guy are keen to minimize scope involved by limiting zoning to esx only.instead of datastore.

more over datastores are using DMP for redundacy... so how zoning would take place in such scenario...

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

When you asked "Also how to identify slot and port # from back side panel of appliance" I asumed you wanted an answer. If so then that is in the manual.

You cannot zone to an ESX host you can only backup via IP from the ESX host. You should only zone one path from the 5220 to the data store as there is a bug in the ESX code that prevents Linux hosts from creating a multipath configuration.

You would zone as many Data stores as you feel you can backup in a window to the 5220. That number will depend on how many guests are on the volume and how much other traffic the 5220 handles.But it is much more than 1:1 datastore to appliance.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
By default Fibre Transport is disabled on a 5220 which is what you want to do VMWare backups and Tape out - this means any ports can be used for these functions If you enable Fibre Transport it can change the mode of the cards (target / initiator mode) which is for SAN Media Server functions - so dont enable it just for VMWare and Tape out functions. All datastore LUNS need to be zoned to the required ports (dont mix tape and datastore LUNS on the same ports) As for port numbering it depends on which model you are using - but you can get a feel for which ports are doing what via the CLISH Manage - FibreChannel section and then Scan to detect new mappings and Show to show what you have - this shows the WWN's of the cards and what is attached to them Multi-pathing is not supported, though there was some talk of it being so at 2.5.2, the biggest issue being with a memory leak (also supposedly solved in 2.5.2) Hope this helps

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

mark if i go through ur statement, then i need to rethink on my presumtion that vmware backups can be streamed over FT

Let me know if there are such limitations so far

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

VMWare backups can be streamed via LAN or SAN - most people use SAN - but although it is via Fibre it is not Fibre Transport as referenced by NetBackup!

Does that make sense? - So the transport is by Fibre but it is not NetBackup "Fibre Transport" !!

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Good sense of humour mark... Thank alot

wes12345
Level 1
To clear things up for reference to others, FT or "fibre transport" is a target mode configuration from appliance point of view. It presents tape like devices to servers for backup.
For VMware data stores, the datastore disks are zoned to normal initiator type fibre ports on the appliance. The appliance mounts the vmfs datastore locally to read from it the backup data.