cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMware servers get Info nbrb (pid=) Limit has been reached for the logical resource VMware.Datastore

DuckTape
Level 4

i'm running 5220 appliance with 2.5.1, netbackup 7.5.4 on linux.  we are backing to to disk.

we have a policy that quieries a VM cluster and pulls in many servers. They start running but after about the 10th one the snapshot details will state"       Info nbrb (pid=???) Limit has been reached for the logical resource primaster.VMware.Datastore.vmwplz-XIV02-LUN14.  

this happens on a lot of them but will eventually continue. I have worked with my support and changed number of jobs from 20 to 40 and on my netbackup master & media  servers. I have changed the parms NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS_DISK and NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS_DISK.     64 and 1048576     ,  64 and 262144,   128 and 1048576     , 128 and 262144  combinations.

i have moved policies to stagger between the master & media appliances to balance but some servers take the same amount of time no matter which appliance.

i cant see any changes in time or performance and wanted to know what this message may point to :Limit has been reached for the logical resource primaster.VMware.Datastore.vmwplz-XIV02-LUN14.  

also i ran a test during the day when of course nothing else was running and the time cut in half.  But the test only selected this server.

i'm wondering if instead of 1 policy selecting all VM's, if breaking them into 2 policies , or is something in VM .

i'm looking for guidance on where to find the bottleneck.

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

As long as your VMware policies are query based then there is no need to restrict the policy - the reource limits will do what you need

And yes, setting the datastore limit to 4 will allow 12 jobs at all times provided the policy / storage units etc can do that many jobs

So try 4 first, then try a lower value and see if the total backup window for the VMware jobs actually reduces

If you do not use a VMware policy type and a query for selecting the clients then the resource limits will have no effect

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

did you tried limiting vmware jobs per datastore from master server host properties?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO44509

Check there, also have look at your datastore I/O on ESXi 

Also increase maximum number of jobs per client to 10-15 or even more as per your environment. You can set this from netbackup master server global attributes

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

This should be a Master Server Host properties setting as Captain Jack says above ... but having said that the reccomended optimum setting is just one per datastore - so if you are hitting 10 per datastore your system is probably not running as fast as it can do!

Better to limit it to a lower value .. they may queue up but the overall time to do all of the backups can actually be faster doing them one or two at a time that trying to do 10 or more at a time.

Hope this helps

DuckTape
Level 4

I have looked at the "resource limit" tab , not really understanding what was best, and the link above was very helpful. But i have more questions because i dont know too much about VM. From what i understand about our VM, we have a 3 datastores, all in 1 cluster, that have many sevrers in each datastore. Under my resource limit, I have for "Datastore" a limit of 4. Everything else is "no limit". 

would this be that i am allowing up to 12 Simultaniously backups.  4 from each datastore?

the other link stated best results, is that no more than 4 per datastore, which is why i am guessing it is set at 4. then it stated  to  "limit jobs per policy"  would help.

Where i am getting confused is the "resource limits" tab looks like you can control limits at different levels. I dont limit "jobs per policy" now, but  If I have 4 per datastore then the "jobs per policy" should not allow more than 4, Correct?

and would a lower number per datastore like 2, make it run faster?

thanks

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

As long as your VMware policies are query based then there is no need to restrict the policy - the reource limits will do what you need

And yes, setting the datastore limit to 4 will allow 12 jobs at all times provided the policy / storage units etc can do that many jobs

So try 4 first, then try a lower value and see if the total backup window for the VMware jobs actually reduces

If you do not use a VMware policy type and a query for selecting the clients then the resource limits will have no effect

Hope this helps