cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veritas Storage Shelf Graceful Shutdown

RansOupZI
Level 3

Hi All,

Recently, my clients asking is there an official document or proper procedure on how to graceful shutdown Veritas Storage Shelf after shutting down the Veritas NetBackup Appliance.

I myself have gone through the documents several time based on what was provided by Veritas. So far I only managed to find out there is only proper procudures on startup/turning on.

I would appreciate if there is anyone out there who have information on this. I myself have gone through several time on Veritas documents provided as well.

Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
After shutting down the server O/S instance which will also power off the server head unit, then we need to remember that the server head unit still has power - so, the next step is to pull the power cords on the server head unit only, wait 30 seconds, power off the first shelf in the chain, wait 30 seconds, pull power cords to first shelf, power off next shelf, wait 30 seconds, pull power cords, etc... and when all shelves have been powered off and de-powered then you can remove the SAS and LAN and FC cabling

View solution in original post

sdo
Be sure to trace the SAS cabling first, because the physical order in the rack might not be the logical disk shelf order which must be maintained.
Be very certain about noting down the shelf serial numbers as you derack. And the cable numbers and to which ports they plug in to.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

sdo
After shutting down the server O/S instance which will also power off the server head unit, then we need to remember that the server head unit still has power - so, the next step is to pull the power cords on the server head unit only, wait 30 seconds, power off the first shelf in the chain, wait 30 seconds, pull power cords to first shelf, power off next shelf, wait 30 seconds, pull power cords, etc... and when all shelves have been powered off and de-powered then you can remove the SAS and LAN and FC cabling

sdo
Be sure to trace the SAS cabling first, because the physical order in the rack might not be the logical disk shelf order which must be maintained.
Be very certain about noting down the shelf serial numbers as you derack. And the cable numbers and to which ports they plug in to.