cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can I use single netbackup policy for physical and virtual machine

Govarthanagiri
Level 4

Hello,

I have to take backup of one virtaul server and physical server which are having same OS (red hat linux)

my doubt is , can i use single policy in NBU to backed up the virual and physical server or should i use seperate ploicy for Virtual machine & phical server eventhough its having same OS .

kindly provide your valuable solution for the same 

regards,

Giri

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello,

I guess the question is, when backing up the virtual server, are you backing it up with a VM policy or do you have NetBackup client software installed on that server? If your just backing up the server as a standard client using a standard policy then you can have both servers in the same policy.

Hope that answers your question.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello,

I guess the question is, when backing up the virtual server, are you backing it up with a VM policy or do you have NetBackup client software installed on that server? If your just backing up the server as a standard client using a standard policy then you can have both servers in the same policy.

Hope that answers your question.

Sulivan77
Level 4

SymTerry is right on the money.  You can absolutely use the same policy if you back them up like they are both physical.  Meaning you install the linux client on both.  

However if you have use Netbackup's hypervisor integrated client you will have to do one policy for the virutal and one policy for the physical. 

Personally I like to backup any system I can at the hypervisor level when possible.  So I'd recommend doing doing policies.  You'll still get deduplication between machine backups.  The benefit is being able to restore the virtual faster.

Sulivan

Govarthanagiri
Level 4

Thanks to SymTerry and Sulivan for your information

From your point i can use a single policy for both platforms.

Here I have another question

What is the benefit of hypervisor client instead of  Linux client ? Can I need to directly install it on hypervisor like ESX   or on top of OS like Linux ?

actually oracle database is running on my virtual machine, if i am going to use standard policy i can create separate policy for Oracle DB (like normal physical machine), suppose if i use Vmware policy in nbu and take a full backup of my VM with hypervisor client , in this case also can i need a separate policy for Data base ?

Thanks in advance for your support

regards,

Giri

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have moved your new question to a new discussion in the NetBackup forum, as this not directly related to 'NetBackup Appliances':

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/what-benefit-hypervisor-client-instead-linux-client

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Only reason to have separate policies could be if you want to enable BMR on Physical, and not on Virtual. Running a BMR enabled backup on virtual sometimes end with 1, which messes up your success rates.

Govarthanagiri
Level 4

thanks