cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

limitation of streams

Rami_Nasser1
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

NetBackup 5220/5230 Appliance is preconfigured with 8 streams in total for the appliance. In many cases this is not a limiting factor with the notable exception of Oracle backup where the number of streams can be very high.

I know that many factors and dependencies : from storage unit the maximum stream per drive is 2-32 can be configured for multi stream ,So how come if I used the Appliance ? max 8 streams

Please advice,,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Update ref you further e-mail in relation to number of streams for appliances:

If you search that guide you referenced (NetBackup_52xx_Appliance_CapacityPlanning_Performancetuning_260x.pdf) for the word "streams" .. you will see a few times where it is mentioned
Bottom of page 83 where 90 is used as an example - page 122 where it says if you are using tape out to limit it to 96 (so presumably if you are not you could use more)
Page 131 says:
Maximum I/O Streams’ count configuration of the storage pool. For the
NetBackup 5220/5230 series appliance-based storage pools, Symantec
recommends up to an optimal value of 98 streams per pool.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Hadn't realised you had started a thread as well as PM'd me .. so here is my reply for the thread:

The bonded 4 x 10g ports is certainly OK - faster than fibre will ever be - but then it is all limited by the bus speed so you cannot actually go any faster than 2 x 8g fibre ports!!
The streams in the doc relates to FT use only - as you are looking at doing Oracle backups which use more streams then I would go for a network based backup model for those to allow more streams where you are fine with 60 to 90 for the max I/O.
There is an Oracle section in the guide which advises how to set the files per set value which could help if you really needed to do FT
Hope this helps

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Update ref you further e-mail in relation to number of streams for appliances:

If you search that guide you referenced (NetBackup_52xx_Appliance_CapacityPlanning_Performancetuning_260x.pdf) for the word "streams" .. you will see a few times where it is mentioned
Bottom of page 83 where 90 is used as an example - page 122 where it says if you are using tape out to limit it to 96 (so presumably if you are not you could use more)
Page 131 says:
Maximum I/O Streams’ count configuration of the storage pool. For the
NetBackup 5220/5230 series appliance-based storage pools, Symantec
recommends up to an optimal value of 98 streams per pool.