cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

media server dedup pools?

Stanleyj
Level 6

Im trying to add in a new 5230 appliance as a media server to my 7.6.0.3 environment and im stuck at figuring out what type of storage pool to choose.  i already have a 5200 in place that i have been using for almost 5 years and it setup as puredisk but i just wanted to make sure i follow the best practices.  My plan is to phase out the 5200 once the images expire.

Should i just copy the storage unit for the 5200 or go with the media server dedup option?

The 5230 is setup with about 95% as dedup storage.

Windows master  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

watsons
Level 6

Appliance 52x0 (5220 & 5230) initial configuration should have MSDP & AdvancedDisk created as disk pool. For dedup, that should be MSDP, so the storage type is "PureDisk". The command to check is:

nbdevquery -listdp -stype PureDisk -U

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

watsons
Level 6

Appliance 52x0 (5220 & 5230) initial configuration should have MSDP & AdvancedDisk created as disk pool. For dedup, that should be MSDP, so the storage type is "PureDisk". The command to check is:

nbdevquery -listdp -stype PureDisk -U

Stanleyj
Level 6

Thank you.  I figured it should be set to puredisk but wanted some reasurance.   For some reason its confusing to me considering your using a media server with deduplication storage and when your setting it up in the master one of the the options is media server deduplication pool.  It just seems right.  haha.  Thank you.

Hey you wouldnt happen to be familiar with the migration utility and how well that works or what it is actually doing would ya?  i was just going to go thru and change all my lifecycles to point to the new storage but if the migration tool will handle all of that for me then hell why not.

watsons
Level 6

No, I haven't used the migration utility.

I saw that you want to phase out 5200 and let the image expires, so that means whatever (non-expired) images on 5200 won't be duplicated further, I don't see why you need a migration utility. If you create a new operation in existing SLP to the new 5230 stoage that should suffice?