cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

protect backups from ransomware

sjvz
Level 3

i work for a hospital and there are quite a few hospitals that have been attacked by ransomware. In some of these attacks , they encrypted the live data as well as the backups.  I am wondering how protected is our backups that reside on the MSDP pool .  We have both appliances as well as regular servers configured with dedup pool.

what are the chances of these being encrypted by the ransomware itself

if anyone has taken steps to protect against such attacks , it would be great if you can share those.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

D_Flood
Level 6

For the stuff on an Appliance, as long as your master catalog and MSDP catalog are protected, I doubt that the programs which run on Windows would mess with something on Linux....worst case you'd have to build a new master and then import your appliance's pool...that could take awhile...

For your Windows Media Servers, there's a chance that something would encrypt all files if that machine got infected or it manages to get into the Admin Share of the MSDP drive...having separate / different passwords for every machine would be a help there...

Humm....just thinking about this caused some interesting thoughts about our own installation...time to go re-read the Security manual and make some configuration changes...

sjvz
Level 3

thanks for the comment on the windows media servers  - i hadn't thought about it.

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Appliance runs Symantec Critical System protection with intrusion prevention. Its pretty well secured. Not an Security expert but you can have your team run a pen test on it to check.

If your master, or the other media servers are on windows that might be open to attack so you should secure that wiht something as well.