VIP   

WE have pure disk PDDO(Not MSDP).

How to do the restore ?From NBU GUI?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If the backup is run from the NBU GUI then you ARE using it with NBU and not as a standalone PureDisk Server

That being the case the restore will also be done via NetBackup - in the Backup Archive and Restore GUI

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Same way you restore anything in NBU. Its not different.

noazara
Level 6
   VIP   

we have NBU 6.5 in one of the oldest remote sites with pure disk.

WE are not performing restore from NBU GUI.

Please tell me the reason for this.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

I don't understand. If you're running PureDisk you would have configured it as PureDisk pool in NetBackup. You would have a storage unit that you backup to. And therefore you would restore from the NetBackup GUI as for all other storage types.

Why are you not restoring from the GUI? Please tell me the reason for this.

I don't think we're on the same page here. Explain everything about your environment in detail.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Are you actually running PureDisk as PureDisk rather than utiklising it within NetBackup?

If so you need to login to your puredisk server using a web client (IE / Firefox etc.) and navigate around the details in there

When PureDisk is used outside of NetBackup restores are done from its own web interface.

Go to the Manage Tab - then select the Restore Now button on the lower left side of the screen (though this may be available on the home page to)

The login should be  https://yourpurediskserver

Generally you will login as root - hopefully you know your password

noazara
Level 6
   VIP   

Yes Mark.We are  using pure disk outside of NBU.

what is the logic behind this set up and its advantages?

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Ok, you said you're using NetBackup. Puredisk is a complete product on its onw that was purchased by Symantec but I'll not bore you with many details. It was the bought because of the deduplication feature which netbackup did not have. It was a completely seperate product back then (2008-2010 i think).

It could be use as a deduplicated storage pool with NetBackup (PDDO) or it could be used by itself. In many smaller remote sites it was used because it could be put there by itself to do the backups. It could then replicate these backups to a central site using deduplication , and thereby not using a lot bandwidth. Once the backup got to the central site it could then be exported to NetBackup tape media.

So that is the history. These days they have combined the product into NetBackup and you can now just use the netbackup clients in remote locations and backup to the central site and still use deduplication.

That is very high level but should give you a picture.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

And as i understand it it is, or is very shortly going, end of life

So you may want to dispense with it in its traditional usage

Even though it is setup in the way it is you can still add it as a de-dupe pool within NetBackup and use it for NetBackup as well / instead

Worth having a good look at how things stand and decide exactly what to do with it

noazara
Level 6
   VIP   

thanks Riann and Mark.

1.so here there is no connection between NBU and pure disk here?

2.Backp is run from NBU GUI ?why not restores from NBU GUI?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

If the backup is run from the NBU GUI then you ARE using it with NBU and not as a standalone PureDisk Server

That being the case the restore will also be done via NetBackup - in the Backup Archive and Restore GUI