cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should we go for a 5240 ?

manatee
Level 6

someone's offering us a bundle of the 5240 with varying RAM config from 4TB to 27TB. below is the general config:

NBU APPL 5240 4TB 8 1GB ETHER - 2 10GBT CU ETHER - 2 10GB SFP ETHER - 2 8 GB FC STD APPL + ESS MAINT BNDL INITIAL 12MO CORP

we are already using NBU 7.7.3 on a RHEL 6.3 server, what is the advantage (or is there?) for going to an appliance?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hello Rino

I am finding such advantages in regards of NBU appliances:

• Single point of contact when it comes to HW, OS and NBU - whatever breaks you call Veritas only;
  • Call home functionality - anything breaks - Veritas will know quicker then you ;) ;
  • Patching of NBU, OS - only one package to donwload and apply (no need linux admins);
  • Closed envornment only BU admins do use it; no other users are logging there - so least chance that some one will break anything out there;
  • It has WAN optimization while your LINUX most likely does not have it (needed if you do AIR);
  • Using VxFS and VxVM - Veritas FileSytem and Volume Manager (your linux is most likely using ext4 and OS LVM);
  • ease of setup - even if you are well NBU skilled admin configuring appliance is matter of few hours, apply hostname, IPs, configure MSDP, AVD DSK, policies - and your are in business;

That's my 'two cents'  - any one else to add comment on this?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hello Rino

I am finding such advantages in regards of NBU appliances:

• Single point of contact when it comes to HW, OS and NBU - whatever breaks you call Veritas only;
  • Call home functionality - anything breaks - Veritas will know quicker then you ;) ;
  • Patching of NBU, OS - only one package to donwload and apply (no need linux admins);
  • Closed envornment only BU admins do use it; no other users are logging there - so least chance that some one will break anything out there;
  • It has WAN optimization while your LINUX most likely does not have it (needed if you do AIR);
  • Using VxFS and VxVM - Veritas FileSytem and Volume Manager (your linux is most likely using ext4 and OS LVM);
  • ease of setup - even if you are well NBU skilled admin configuring appliance is matter of few hours, apply hostname, IPs, configure MSDP, AVD DSK, policies - and your are in business;

That's my 'two cents'  - any one else to add comment on this?

Systems_Team
   VIP   

Hi Rino19NY,

Everything Quebek said - plus more Smiley Very Happy    We've been very happy with our appliances (using 5230's). 

Single point of contact for everything is a real winner, as is it being locked down so very hard for someone inexperienced to break.  Firmware updates are also included in version upgrades (where required), so you get OS, NetBackup, firmware, etc all done in one hit.  You can use it for your VMware backup host (great for that), and tape out as well.  You can use AIR to duplicate image data and catalog entries to another appliance at a different site for DR.

Make sure that you keep your maintenance and support for the appliance hardware and NetBackup up to date.  You may be able to wing it with a home-grown server and an EOSL version of NetBackup, but I wouldn't let your support lapse with an appliance.

Be aware that what they are offering you does not have 4TB - 27 TB of RAM.  They appear to be offering you a head unit only (ie: the appliance).  For a 5240 this comes with between 4 and 27TB of internal storage (SAS 3Gb/s if it hasn't changed from the 5230).  The appliance works best when you have some of the external storage shelves and you place your MSDP/Dedupe there, not on the head unit.  There have been a few technotes from Veritas, as well as posts in the forums about not putting your MSDP on the head unit, or splitting it between the head unit and storage shelves (head unit is 3Gb/s SAS, storage shelves are 6Gb/s SAS) so the difference in performance causes some of the isssues noted when you split it across the two.

Also the head unit is your OS, NetBackup, patches, upgrades, etc.  If you fill it, things will stop or get real sluggish.  If your environment is small, and you look at what you are putting on the appliance you may just get away with just the head unit.  Storage shelves are 49TB each (not sure if that is the only size for the 5240).  Here's a link for some of the base spec's for the 5240:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/109268087-126555842-0/index

I've also found the appliance support team at Veritas to be very responsive - don't think I've ever had to escalate an appliance case.

Hope this helps,

Steve