cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sysadmin user

bcsupport
Level 4

We are trying to upgrade our netbackup appliance from 3.1.2 to 4.1 and I have ran the Readiness Analyzer to make sure we are ready.  One of the steps it is requiring is to change the default password on some of the accounts.  One account it is requesting to change is the 'sysadmin' account.  I see no account in the appliance for this, could this be the IPMI port?  and if so, is there a way to change the password for it thru the CLISH?  This is at a remote site for us.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi @bcsupport 

You have correctly identified that the sysadmin user is from the IPMI and is used to access the system remotely (turn power on/off etc and connect to the console).  

The CLISH IPMI command (Main -> Support -> IPMI) should be able to help you. I've not done this but see no reason why it shouldn't work. Add a new user (for safety - the name doesn't really matter), then delete the sysadmin user and finally recreate it - you will need to add a password when you add the user - don't use the default one). 

Finally a word of warning - not having console access when performing the appliance upgrade is not recommended (it is used to monitor progress and if something does go wrong it is essential for recovery options). That said, these days, the upgrade process is very robust and I have seen very few failures since the enforcing the AURA tool as part of the upgrade. If there is a jump box at the remote site (surely there must be something you can connect to - otherwise why have an applinace there) can you use this to provide IPMI web and console access?

Cheers
David

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi @bcsupport 

You have correctly identified that the sysadmin user is from the IPMI and is used to access the system remotely (turn power on/off etc and connect to the console).  

The CLISH IPMI command (Main -> Support -> IPMI) should be able to help you. I've not done this but see no reason why it shouldn't work. Add a new user (for safety - the name doesn't really matter), then delete the sysadmin user and finally recreate it - you will need to add a password when you add the user - don't use the default one). 

Finally a word of warning - not having console access when performing the appliance upgrade is not recommended (it is used to monitor progress and if something does go wrong it is essential for recovery options). That said, these days, the upgrade process is very robust and I have seen very few failures since the enforcing the AURA tool as part of the upgrade. If there is a jump box at the remote site (surely there must be something you can connect to - otherwise why have an applinace there) can you use this to provide IPMI web and console access?

Cheers
David

I went onsite and got the password changed,  Thanks for the help!