cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bonded NICs with PureDisk

stingvb
Level 2
Does PureDisk support having bonded interfaces on the PureDisk nodes? After loading the PDOS, I configured the bonded interfaces using yast, but the Storage Pool install routine keeps overwriting the ifcfg-bond0 file and messing up the interface. We are running three nodes in a high availability cluster and are only bonding the main interface with the nodes primary IP. Are bonded interfaces supported with PureDisk and if so, how do you configure this so that the Storage Pool install will not override your configuration?
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

Abesama
Level 6
Partner

It's strange to hear that storage pool installation touches interface setting which is part of PDOS, not PureDisk Application.

After I installed PDOS 6.5, I just configured bond0 using yast2, and the storage pool installation did not overwrite it.

Probably keeping a backup copy of ifcfg-bond0 file and putting it back in place after storage pool installation may help, I guess?

Or log a support case with Symantec...

Abe

Kerry_LeRoy
Level 3
Are you using the Clustering/HA features?  In PDOS 6.5, the Storage Foundation software does not support bonding.  We have 4 nics available but could not use them for a bond.  We have a 6 node HA farm with 1 SPA, 4 CR's and a hot spare, fronting 64TB of storage.

ElGringo
Level 6
Partner Accredited
hi,

With PureDisk 6.5 you need to install PureDisk Storage Pool First then you can configure the bonding.
For me the bonding perfectly worked using with this methodology. 

The only difference between my confugration and yours is that I am not using high avaibility with PureDisk...

something sound wierd for me ... I found 2 different informations :

The NIC agent can monitor the network interfaces (bond0, bond1, etc.) that the bonding driver exports. Refer to operatinhe NIC agent can monitor the network interfaces (bond0, bond1, etc.) that the bonding driver exports. Refer to operating system vendor documentation to set up the bonds and to configure your system to load the bonding driver correctly.

Since PureDisk 6.5 include Storage Foundation 4.1 HA, I checked the bundled agent guide When I read this guide it suggest (actually "it say" to my mind ...) that bonding + PureDisk HA must work correctly ...

NOTE: NIC bonding is not supported when using Veritas Cluster Service (VCS) as the bond0 device is not recognized. Do not use NIC bonding when PureDisk is configured in a cluster.

stingvb
Level 2
Working with a very knowledgeable tech, we were able to get this working. Because of the new java installer with 6.6, we had to first install PD with a single non bonded interface. When you choose the HA option, the installer automatically installs and configures VCS along with PureDisk. Once the install was completed, we shut down PD and VCS and then used yast to configure the bonded interface. We then had to edit the following files and replace any instances of eth0 with bond0.
/Storage/etc/vcs.cfg, /Storage/etc/topology_nodes.ini and /etc/VRTSvcs/conf/config/main.cf
Thanks