cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLI Command For Dedup Rates

avazquez
Level 4

NBU Experts,

Do any of you know if there is a CLI command  that can tell the dedup rate for all the images created, and stored in a PureDisk pool?

For examaple, if I run bpimagelist on the master server I get some good info, but not the dedup rate for each image.

Thanks,

AVazquez

7 REPLIES 7

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You can configure bpdbjobs via bp.conf entries to include DEDUPRATIO, which might help.

First, here are the bp.conf entries which will recreate the "default" output from a bpdbjobs command (at least, on my 7.5.0.5 test system):

BPDBJOBS_COLDEFS = JOBID 5 true
BPDBJOBS_COLDEFS = TYPE 4 true
BPDBJOBS_COLDEFS = STATE 5 true
BPDBJOBS_COLDEFS = STATUS 6 true
BPDBJOBS_COLDEFS = POLICY 6 true
BPDBJOBS_COLDEFS = SCHEDULE 8 true
BPDBJOBS_COLDEFS = CLIENT 6 true
BPDBJOBS_COLDEFS = DSTMEDIA_SERVER 12 true
BPDBJOBS_COLDEFS = ACTPID 10 true
BPDBJOBS_COLDEFS = FATPIPE 7 true

To this, you might want to add these lines:

BPDBJOBS_COLDEFS = KILOBYES 9 true
BPDBJOBS_COLDEFS = DEDUPRATIO 12 true

A complete* list of options for BPDBJOBS_COLDEFS can be found in the Admin Guide I in the tables in the section on pages 231-235:

Symantec NetBackup 7.5 Administrator's Guide for UNIX and Linux, Volume I
 http://symantec.com/docs/DOC5157

...or in this standalone TechNote:

BPDBJOBS_COLDEFS bp.conf entries for UNIX servers
 http://symantec.com/docs/HOWTO66761

*well, I SAY complete, but I have no idea what FATPIPE means or what it represents...and it isn't in the list.  Oh well!

For additional info, here's some more reference material:  the Commands Guide man page for bpdbjobs  AND the Commands Guide itself:

bpdbjobs
 http://symantec.com/docs/HOWTO72644

Symantec NetBackup 7.5 Commands Reference Guide
 http://symantec.com/docs/DOC5182

Hope this helps!

avazquez
Level 4

Chris,

Thank you for the reply.  Do you know if the by adding this to the bp.conf, will increase the logs size?  Also, how to I retrieve the dedup ration results?

Thanks,

CRZ
Level 6

All you are changing is which data is displayed in the bpdbjobs output and which data is left out - it shouldn't increase or decrease any log sizes, except maybe bpdbjobs log if you have it enabled, because you'd be running it a lot more.  :)

Hopefully after you change the format, you will see a "Dedupe Ratio" column which will have what you're looking for.  (I did try this out on my test system, but for me the column was blank - but that was because I'm not doing any dedupe!)

CRZ
Level 6

I should probably add that if you (or anybody else coming across this thread) would prefer NOT to do this with a command, there is a Deduplication Rate column which can be added to the Activity Monitor view via the Columns | Layout... menu.  Default is Hide and you would just need to change it to Show.

ColumnLayout.png

avazquez
Level 4

Thank you and I do have enabled on the GUI.  My main questions is, can I get this information from a CLI command?  For exmaple if I run the following, can I get the dedup rates?

Command:  ./bpimagelist -server myMediaServer.mydomain.com -client myserver.mydomain.com -U

Current Results: 

Backed Up         Expires       Files       KB  C  Sched Type   On Hold Index Status Policy
----------------  ---------- -------- --------  -  ------------ ------- ------------ ------------
06/22/2013 00:30  09/23/2013     6969  4105822  N  Full Backup  0       0            mypolicy

Desired Results: 

Backed Up    Expires      Files    KB       Dedup % Dedup KB C  Sched Type   On Hold Index Status Policy
--------------    ----------       -------   --------   ---- -        ----------    --- ------------ ------------  ------------  ------------
06/22/2013  09/23/2013  6969  4105822 75         3079366  N  Full Backup   0       0        mypolicy

If not with bpimagelist is there another command that I can run.  If not on the master server, is there a command that I can run the PureDisk appliance.

Thanks!

CRZ
Level 6

I said up there that I think you can get it with bpdbjobs so long as you change the information returned to include the dedupe ratio (as it's not enabled by default).

Please go back and read my replies from yesterday.  :)

avazquez
Level 4

Got  it ...   Yes that may work.  Let me work with it and will post an update.  Thank You Sir!