cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you boot puredisk 6.6 from SAN

effiko
Level 4
Partner Certified

I'd like to create a VCS clustered PDDO storage pool for NBU 7.01.

The customer site policy is boot from SAN. However documentation does not mention it.

Is this a good practice?

5 REPLIES 5

AAlmroth
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Although quite possible, relying on SAN disks (be it boot/data) for backup systems is not very good. A backup system should be able to run whether or not the SAN production storage is available.

It is your backup, and if your SAN storage is destroyed, you would need to be able to boot your backup system and restore back to SAN.

If your HW/BIOS/HBA BIOS supports SAN boot, then PureDisk (PDOS is really SLES 10) should be able to boot. So check HW and SLES 10 compatibility for your storage.

/A

effiko1
Level 3

Thanks for the comment. This customer has tow different SAN systems so I can boot from one and backup the other. My main concern is whether this is supported by Symantec or in case of a problem they'll send me to ...

PureD
Level 4

Supportability is probably not an issue. Let's face it, if the SAN connectivity goes down, it's hardly the PureDisk software's fault! And yes, you'd get sent to HW vendors, SAN vendors to resolve your own issue. See if Novell supports it. Hope the SAN is stable/solid.....

Sounds like a bad idea....use the internal drive that shipped with the server for the OS.

Mike_Williams1
Level 2

We are also trying to configure a clustered storage pool as our replication site.  PD 6.6.0.3 (will deploy 6.6.1) 5 node 4A/1P.

Install fails with VCS error 

Creating PureDisk Group.....................................VCS WARNING V-16-1-10278 Service group pd_group1 of Resource pd_BR10StorageDG has failed or is switching,on/offlining prohibited
VCS WARNING V-16-1-10278 Service group pd_group1 of Resource pd_BR10StorageVOL has failed or is switching,on/offlining prohibited
VCS WARNING V-16-1-10278 Service group pd_group1 of Resource pd_BR10spaDG has failed or is switching,on/offlining prohibited
VCS WARNING V-16-1-10278 Service group pd_group1 of Resource pd_BR10spaVOL has failed or is switching,on/offlining prohibited
VCS WARNING V-16-1-10278 Service group pd_group1 of Resource pd_storage_BR10StorageVOL has failed or is switching,on/offlining prohibited
== Configuring service group on node ilmocbr0bu10.blm.doi.net completed SUCCESSFULLY ==

Any thoughts appreciated

effiko1
Level 3

We have finally succedded.

The major problem was upgrading from 6.6.0 to 6.6.1 - we needed to remove the special drivers we received from HP