cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DeDup disk types

RGuinn
Level 4

We are looking to implement the DeDuplication available with NetBackup 7.0, (both Media Server and Client Side). My question is regarding the disk we use.

Has anyone implemented this using SATA disk? If so, did you see any performance issues?

We are also looking at virtulizing the disk behind a Hitachi USPv. Is there any know issues doing that?

Thanks for any information and/or gotcha's we need to look out for.

-Randy

2 REPLIES 2

teiva-boy
Level 6

As long as you can get about 200MB/s of read/write performance or greater, for the most part Symantec has been indifferent to supporting SATA all the way up to Product Management buy-in.  In fact their whole pitch is to use lower cost disk.  

They have been recommending to use this free tool HD_Speed or to use a DD copy to verify speeds.  

Merv
Level 6
Partner

I*'m using SATA but on low end Netapp storage and a 7.01 MSDP running on Solaris 10...and facing an issue right now with my disk pool going down after a reboot of the MSDP and comes back online after 3 hours. Support are saying it's an i/o issue as i'm only managing 80-100MB/s. I'm

Probably with USPV and increased front end caching and enterprise storage system you will get much better perf..but why stinge on the disk. I would go with FC or SAS.

This is a similar technote on a issue i'm facing but in my case it takes 3 hours before my fingerprint data is loaded from disk to cache

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH130869