cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GRT backup/restores utilising Puredisk disk pools (Netbackup 7.0.1 Win.)

Alex_
Level 2

Symantec NetBackup Enterprise Server 7.0.1 for MS Windows

Currently, I am led to believe that GRT backup and restores are not supported by Symantec to Puredisk disks.

1. Does this mean that it will not work, or may not work, or may not work reliably, or something else and why?

2. Accepting that restores from Puredisk are not supported and may not be performed, would be feasible, and if so, would there be any reduction in the backup data volume to tape, if the GRT backups were firstly backed up to Puredisk then duplicated to tape, then for restores, the tape data duplicated to a spare/recovery "basic disk" for Granular recovery?

Many thanks,

Alex.

3 REPLIES 3

Douglas_Snyder
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Alex,

My understanding is that the restores are slower than anticipated and may not work in all situations.  I understand the concept however since the GRT backup on PureDisk may not be reliable you really do not gain anything.  I suggest backup GRT policies to basic disk FIRST (for fast restore) then off to PureDisk and export to tape.  This allows for the fastest possible restores.  The export to tape re-hydrates the PureDisk data so this *should* not be an issue when restoring from tape.

There is a PureDisk patch being released in the near future that resolves this issue.  Sign up for notifications at http://www.symantec.com/business/support/news_bulletins/index.jsp for notifications.  The patch will be for PureDisk 6.6.1.

Merv
Level 6
Partner

the patch has been put and it should be this EEB together with 7.01. Am planning to roll it out.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH141274&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1292380898446

Merv
Level 6
Partner

FYI - rolled out and patch resolves the GRT restore and backup issue - it seems although i was getting status 0 GRT backups not all my files were bring backed up. it was intermittent.