Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Schedule Duplication from Pure Disk Pool

Cidman
Level 1
Certified

Hi,

I have a NetBackup domain that uses NBU appliances running Pure Disk.  They consist of 4 appliances in one disk storage pool.  The people before me configured this domain in quite a hurry, using 49 separate SLP's with multiple storage units configured using this disk pool.  We're having issues with the complexity, and thrashing of this pool because all sorts of backups (normal and synthetic), and duplications are always taking place on it.  We get errors, and some of the processing is hit and miss.  We're looking to cut down on the SLP's (which I have already engaged Symantec about and can do), and get everything in line with what our backup policy states.

My crux is, I need to store data onto the disk pool for 6 months, and at the end of a 6 month period perform a duplication of that data to tape for another retention period that will complete the lifecycle of the data.  I can't do this in SLP, or don't understand how to with SLP, because even with dupes that are not inline, they spawn automatically and try to dupe right away.

Would it be better to use Vault in this case to schedule duplications from the disk pool?  I am open to any ideas.  Here is what the plan is that we are to follow for storage destination, which in this case really only affects the monthly backups in this manner that I need help with.  Thanks for any help:

Media

Tier

Yearly/Quarterly

Monthly

Weekly

Daily

Tier 1 – Critical financial impacting systems

Tape

Disk : Tape after 6months

Disk

Disk

Tier 2 – Critical infrastructure systems