cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSDP Always busy

MilesVScott
Level 6
Certified

I am trying to do some upgrades to the firmware and drivers on a server containing a MSDP. Being new to NetBackup I recently took a different pool down, most likely related to shuting the server down while the pool was still processing. After going through that once I  would rather be safe than sorry. I was given the command crcontrol --processqueueinfo however even hours after all of my SLP's that dup to this pool have been disabled it is still busy. Is there a way to manually (and safely) freeze and commit all changes so that I can bring the pool down?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sachin_Pathare
Level 4
Employee Certified

Hi Miles,

-- Make sure there are no backups/duplications/image expirations happening from NBU side, as these operations will generate tlog(MSDP transaction logs files) and to process these tlogs, CRQP process runs twice in 24hrs(once at 12PM afternoon and 00:00 AM midnight).

-- If all the operations are stopped in NBU, you can check the <drive>:\<MSDP Storage Location>\queue folder if there exists any tlog files, if yes, then you can manually run CRQP with below command:
# crcontrol --processqueue

-- Once you are sure that all tlogs are processed from the queue folder, you can safely bring down the NBU services on the MSDP media server using:
# bpdown -f -v
Note: NBU Deduplication Engine(spoold) and Manager(spad) service may take a while(from a few mins to more than an hour) to stop, please do not attempt to kill them from task manager or kill command.

-- Once NBU is down, you can perform the driver and firmware update, once done bring up all the services, using:
# bpup -f -v
Note: NBU Deduplication Engine(spoold) and Manager(spad) service may take a while(from a few mins to more than an hour) to start, please do not attempt to kill them from task manager or kill command.

Hope that helps !!

Regards,

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Liliana_Windver
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hello Miles

It is the best way recommended to check and see if CRQP jobs are running before rebooting or stopping NetBackup services on a NetBackup MSDP / media server.  This is done by using the command  " crcontrol --processqueueinfo " as you already know.
busy:yes                    means CRQP is running -- it is best to wait until "busy:no" appears.
Pending: yes              means CRQP is queued.

I know that usually we stop/start NBU services without checking that and  not have problems , but checking before we can avoid data coruption ,missing fingerprints or some other kind of problems.

It is recommended also every time we need to grow the MSDP ( when possible ) disk pool to check that  CRQP is quiet.

To ensure  internal databases are in sync with the Backend Storage CRQP is running. If this is not run then a backlog of transaction logs will be generated and eventually (after 30 days by default) the Storage Pool will refuse new data.

I am not aware of internal database commands that can stop /freeze  this sync, better to open a ticket with Symantec and check with support people.

Regards

Liliana

MilesVScott
Level 6
Certified

Thanks!

Sachin_Pathare
Level 4
Employee Certified

Hi Miles,

-- Make sure there are no backups/duplications/image expirations happening from NBU side, as these operations will generate tlog(MSDP transaction logs files) and to process these tlogs, CRQP process runs twice in 24hrs(once at 12PM afternoon and 00:00 AM midnight).

-- If all the operations are stopped in NBU, you can check the <drive>:\<MSDP Storage Location>\queue folder if there exists any tlog files, if yes, then you can manually run CRQP with below command:
# crcontrol --processqueue

-- Once you are sure that all tlogs are processed from the queue folder, you can safely bring down the NBU services on the MSDP media server using:
# bpdown -f -v
Note: NBU Deduplication Engine(spoold) and Manager(spad) service may take a while(from a few mins to more than an hour) to stop, please do not attempt to kill them from task manager or kill command.

-- Once NBU is down, you can perform the driver and firmware update, once done bring up all the services, using:
# bpup -f -v
Note: NBU Deduplication Engine(spoold) and Manager(spad) service may take a while(from a few mins to more than an hour) to start, please do not attempt to kill them from task manager or kill command.

Hope that helps !!

Regards,