cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimised duplication not supported when source and target server are the same..

shravan5279364
Level 3

Hi All,

Trying to configure deduplication in a multi netbackup environment but getting error media write error 84( Optimised duplication not supported when  source and target server are the same) Dont know what i m doing wrong..Below is the environment..

1-Two netbackup server's both are configured as master and media server..both having different MSDP configured..

2-if i removed the deduplication and configured replication only then it works fine, but whenever deduplication is configuring getting error media write error 84..

3-Attaching the snapshot of SLP..I think i m not able to configured target server in SLP..i read lot of docs but nothing works

Thanks in advance..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jmontagu
Level 4
Employee

From your post I think there might be some confusion in terminology between, optimized duplication, Air (Auto Image Replication) and deduplication:

OPTIMIZED DUPLICATION allows disk-based backups to be replicated between devices under NetBackup control. This means disaster recovery capability with optimized duplication of a site requires a NetBackup domain that spans at least two geographically remote locations (regardless of the distance between them).

Initially, this type of replication was limited to the NetBackup domain in which it originated.

AIR (Auto Image Replication) offers you the ability to automatically manage the replication of a deduplicated backup image from one NetBackup master server domain to another. This capability enables fast and scalable disaster recovery because backup images are available for immediate recovery from any domain or global location, with minimized storage footprint and bandwidth impact.

DEDUPLICATION reduces the storage needed for backups by chunking the backup stream and storing unique segments once. Backups deduplicate well because only a small amount of daily data normally changes (<10%).

Data deduplication makes it possible to use disks as cost effective backup and recovery target for local and DR purposes, minimizing the need for tape media.

So Deduplication reduces the amount of data you are storing and both Air and Optimized duplication replicate that data to a second location.

Best Regards

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

jmontagu
Level 4
Employee

From your post I think there might be some confusion in terminology between, optimized duplication, Air (Auto Image Replication) and deduplication:

OPTIMIZED DUPLICATION allows disk-based backups to be replicated between devices under NetBackup control. This means disaster recovery capability with optimized duplication of a site requires a NetBackup domain that spans at least two geographically remote locations (regardless of the distance between them).

Initially, this type of replication was limited to the NetBackup domain in which it originated.

AIR (Auto Image Replication) offers you the ability to automatically manage the replication of a deduplicated backup image from one NetBackup master server domain to another. This capability enables fast and scalable disaster recovery because backup images are available for immediate recovery from any domain or global location, with minimized storage footprint and bandwidth impact.

DEDUPLICATION reduces the storage needed for backups by chunking the backup stream and storing unique segments once. Backups deduplicate well because only a small amount of daily data normally changes (<10%).

Data deduplication makes it possible to use disks as cost effective backup and recovery target for local and DR purposes, minimizing the need for tape media.

So Deduplication reduces the amount of data you are storing and both Air and Optimized duplication replicate that data to a second location.

Best Regards