cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDDO disaster recovery

Nickyxx9
Level 3

Netbackup 6.5.5, Puredisk 6.6 (using Puredisk Virtual Appliance)

Attempting DR testing in a virtual environment which reflects live setup.

Site 1: 
Netbackup Master Server (Windows 2003) with PDDO installed
Windows 2003 Domain controller/DNS server, also with netbackup client installed
PDVA 6.6.0.2

Site 2:
PDVA 6.0.0.2
"Warm standby" DR master server

Successfully configured the environment so that the Netbackup client backed up to a storage lifecycle policy which stored primary data on the Site 1 PDVA and replicated to the Site 2 PDVA.  Also performed Netbackup catalog backup.
Then simulated a disaster by switching off all servers at site 1 except DC/DNS server.
Successfully completed a full catalog restore onto the warm standby server and all appears well.  (Installed the PDDO agent on the warm standby server after installing Netbackup but before restoring the catalog.)
From the catalog I can view the "copy 2" files stored on the site 2 Puredisk server, and have set them to be the primary copy.
However, cannot perform a restore of these files to the client:  job fails almost immediately with error code 10 and detailed log shows error 800.
Can't find any documentation on how to configure a restored master server to restore from a Puredisk storage pool so aware I might be missing a piece of configuration.  Have tried rerunning pddocfg.exe on the restored master server.  If I run pddocfg in "update" mode it succeeds but still can't restore.  If I run it in "new" mode it fails (unsurprisingly since the restored master already knows about the storage pool).

I have raised a support call about this but thought I'd see if anyone on the forums has any advice - thanks in advance!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nickyxx9
Level 3
Support have got back to me - as I suspected, the only way to restore from an offsite Puredisk storage pool if the original master server is unavailable is to build a new master with a different name and import the Puredisk images into this new server.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Nickyxx9
Level 3

Have now succeeded in restoring a file to the client from the offsite Puredisk storage. However to achieve this I had to build a master server with a different name from the original master, install the PDDO and set up communications with the offsite Puredisk server. I then had to import the images from the Puredisk server into the new master server catalog and update the client to allow communication with the new master.

At this point I was able to restore files to the client.

I was led to try this approach by a paragraph on page 531 of the Netbackup 6.5 Troubleshooting Guide which states "Disk based images residing on SharedDisk, AdvancedDisk or on OpenStorage disks cannot be recovered by means of the Netbackup catalog. These disk images must be recovered by means of the Netbackup import feature". It struck me that this may also apply to Puredisk images.

If this is the only way that it is possible to restore from offsite Puredisk storage pools when the original master and the original storage pool are lost then  that's fine but it seems kind of cumbersome so I've left the support call open to see if there's a cleaner way of doing it. 

Anyone got any thoughts?

Nickyxx9
Level 3
Support have got back to me - as I suspected, the only way to restore from an offsite Puredisk storage pool if the original master server is unavailable is to build a new master with a different name and import the Puredisk images into this new server.

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I will propose to you a different approach.
Why don’t you use replication of the master server? That way the server will have all binaries and configuration the same. I suspect that you will not have to import any image.
You can do that with two ways.
First configure the master server to boot form SAN and replicate all disk to your disaster and have a system with the same hardware as your DR Master server.
Second you can move your master to VMware. Now you can copy/clone/replicate/synchronize your master server to DR. Note that you cannot use the VMware master as media server.

I have two questions for you. Have you tried to do a disaster restore of your puredisk installation? (at the primary site, if you are backing up the PD servers)
What is the restore speed of the backups from PD or PDDO?

stefanos